Real Tragedy, Please Read

Well, you can either read the news article here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/443604p-373561c.html

Or take my condensed version of events, or read both. Anyway, around about Monday, a young man in an SUV and a young man in on a motorcycle exchanged words as they were both riding up the West Side Highway around about 125th Street. Apparently the man on the motorcycle must have said something to the driver of the SUV who not only was drunk and possibly on drugs, but was also a volunteer firefighter and decided the best course of action was to throw on his blue lights and chase the man down through traffic, colliding with him at 133th street. As a final touch, the driver of the SUV got out and then acted played like a good Samaritan trying to help the injured motorcyclist, it was only because of witnesses that he was arrested. The motorcyclist was pinned under the tires of the SUV and despite the enormous joint effort put in by NYPD ESU, FDNY Rescue, and FDNY EMS, he died two hours later at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital.

The driver of the SUV's name is Robert Derlan, 23 years old with the Saddle River, NJ, Rescue Squad. While the papers play up the firefighter angle, in New Jersey a rescue squad is the volunteer ambulance, so this guy is probably an EMT as well.

The motorcyclists name was Police Officer Eric Concepcion 29, of the 42nd precinct in the Bronx, and the father of two children, ages 1 and 4.

As a paramedic, a former firefighter, and a guy who has the police back him up everyday, I can only say the whole story makes me physically ill. May God Bless the family of Officer Concepcion, and help them through this time, and may God have mercy on the soul of Robert Derlan, because I know for a fact the New York County District Attorney's office won't.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Road rage - terrible thing. in the immortal words of Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along"(I think that pretty close)

Condolences to the officer and his family

PUt this guy in prison and throw away the key.

I'm with you Asysin... it makes me physically ill to my stomach! Sad times we're living in my friends.... very sad.

he won't get life or anywhere near it. They will look at it as a crime of passion/rage and he'll get something like manslaughter or murder 2 and serve 25 or so. That's not long enough but I'd be surprised if he got any more than 25 years. 25 to life would be a step in the right direction but does anyone truly believe he meant to kill the guy? Probably not. But since he did he has to pay the price.

plus does anyone know what the police officer said to the guy who ran him over. He must have said something pretty bad to make the guy snap and do what he did. We'll never know and if it comes out it will be from the mouth of his killer.

This is so sad.

there's a story out of Ohio where two women cut in front of a lady in McDonalds and the lady threatened to kill them. They left the store and the lady who threatened them hit them with her car.

it's a very serious problem, you never know who you might make angry in a car and then you are in a world of hurt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.