52 Precepts EMS Students and Providers Should Consider

Ace844

52 Precepts EMS Students and Providers Should Consider Regularly

Promotion of Relationships With Patients

Greet patients by their names, tell them your name and your role in their care

Smile

Sit down when talking to patients

Listen

Be wholly present when interacting with patients and avoid unnecessary interruptions

Learn who your patients are and consider sharing something about yourself with them

Show the utmost respect for all patients

Be humanistic, compassionate and caring

Even if it is a struggle to think positively of a patient, always speak of them in a positive way; this will influence your thinking positively

If you are feeling negative emotions towards a patient, try to understand why you are feeling this way

Principles of the Effective Clinician

The history and physical examination are not like a biopsy fixed in formalin, but are dynamic entities that should be revisited frequently

A patient's history should not be "aspirated"; it should instead be "built" purposefully with effective communication skills

Be curious - seek to find out exactly how and why events occurred and do not accept diagnoses and conclusions made by others

Recognize the patient as teacher

Elaborate a differential diagnosis that is as broad as the history and physical examination dictate

After forming a diagnostic hypothesis, focus on any symptoms or signs that are either atypical or incompatible with the diagnosis; these must be explained and not ignored

Always consider and exclude catastrophic treatable diseases

Continually strive to improve your diagnostic skills by mentally committing to a specific answer or conclusion before definitive testing

Watching patients walk is a critical component of the physical examination, particularly if their level of function is compromised

Look at the sacrum and heels of any patient who is bed-bound

Think about and plan for how to best deliver the information before telling important news to patients about their health

Explain medical concepts in simple language; avoid medical jargon and make sure that the patient understands

Teach patients what they need to know to make an informed decision

Strive to become a healer

Solicit help when you are stumped or at a loss in caring for a patient

Review your patient's drug list and require explicit justification for every medication

Remember that the ill patient is not at his best

Do not discuss patients in public places (eg, elevators)

Appreciate the contributions of all members of the health care team

Try to be as organized as possible - be prepared and be thorough yet efficient

Focused reading to answer specific clinical questions is more nourishing leafing through a current issue of a medical journal

Know that much practice, reading, and years of hard work are essential parts of becoming an excellent physician

When you have made a mistake in the care of a patient, follow these steps: (a) admit it, (B) inform the patient, © if possible, initiate reparation, (d) institute a mechanism whereby you will not repeat the error, (e) attempt to establish a mechanism whereby others in the system cannot make the error, (f) forgive yourself

Growth and Improvement

Strive to achieve personal awareness and an understanding of your beliefs, values, and attitudes

Recognize and acknowledge powerful experiences

Seek out and embrace helping relationships

Make time for reflection

Observe other physicians carefully and learn from role models

Realize that people are watching you closely - strive to be a role model for others

Be creative and innovative

Try to look into an accurate mirror

Values to Guide One's Career in Medicine

Avoid being cynical

Understand that medicine is a public trust

Be humble

Be ethical in all of your work as it relates to the profession of medicine

Aspire to become a great teacher

Stand up for what you believe in

Aim for a comfortable balance between your personal and professional lives

Try your best

Continually search for meaning in your work in medicine

Celebrating successes may help to avoid burnout

Be thankful and happy that you are in medicine

From Wright SM - Am J Med - 01-APR-2005;118(4):435-8.

American Journal of Medicine

Volume 118 · Number 4 · April 2005

Copyright © 2005 Excerpta Medica

Ace, you rock!

Those will be posted in my classroom from here on out.

Rep points for you....

2.gif

23.gif

25.gif

10.gif

15.gif

Does this count as in improvement in EMS by "GAmedic standards??? hmmm.. I wonder....Quick hurry soemone call him here!!! :shock: 8) :wink: :DB)13.gif

Ace, I think it does! Congratulations, you've single hanedly improved EMS for the world today. In doing so, there'll be more helpful and better prepared EMT's and Paramedics to treat the carpal-tunnel syndrome that you've managed to give yourself today through all these posts.

B) Hi-5!

Ace, I think it does! Congratulations, you've single hanedly improved EMS for the world today. In doing so, there'll be more helpful and better prepared EMT's and Paramedics to treat the carpal-tunnel syndrome that you've managed to give yourself today through all these posts.

B) Hi-5!

4.gif

7.gif

1.gif

Just for your reading pleasure...

Out Here,

ACE

Amazing what a dedicated individual, with a few minutes of time and Google can put together.

If this isn't a call for every student in the room to dust off their toolbar, I don't know what is.

Amazing what a dedicated individual, with a few minutes of time and Google can put together.

If this isn't a call for every student in the room to dust off their toolbar, I don't know what is.

To be honest I wish I didn't have to actually KNOW half this stuff... cripes, it makes my head hurt soemtimes!! If I could have acccess to this stuff anytime... who knows what could happen. I think the thing most don't actually consider is that this is merely a tool. Much like you posted in the field guides thread I use it to augment and keep fresh the foundation provided by my hard work and education. I don't use the copy paste, google, or anything else as a crutch. I had to actually learn, and KNOW this stuff. It has been alot of work. Additionally; I use it as a tool, to help me save duplication of effort, and hope that some of this will be useful to other students going throught the same thing..I use as much of it as I can retain and be competent with in my practice and it can actually be surprising to see the reactions of other clinicians when they encounter soemone who can converse with them about the professional literature and standards of care... It's like a whole new world. Try it soem time..

out here,

ACE844

I'm going to have to find a new group to talk to about this material.

The current group keeps looking at me sideways, like I'm talking about walking a fish. :roll:

So I just retire to the City, and let it slide.

Keep it up.