The glucagon discussion

whit72

Isn't there a growing trend in EM where the fast track (minor patients) is covered by midlevel (NP or PA) providers, and in these cases, the patient is normally not seen by an EMP?

The patient is still 'presented' (depending on institutional policies) often times to the ER doc, before D/C...Same principle as "dust" mentioned. Also, these providers are infinately more educated than an EMT. Food for thought,

ACE844

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an EMT wants to give meds then that EMT has several options including, but not limited to, paramedic school, nursing school, medical school.

If I, as a paramedic, decide I want to be able to do more than what I can currently do those are my options. So why is this such a hard concept for others to grasp? Besides, it's horribly undignified to stomp your feet, throw a tantrum and demand to do things simply because a monkey can do it.

I don't believe EMT training covers anywhere near what is needed in order for them to be giving meds. They're not prepared to put on bandaids much less give or even assist with meds.

So, to answer ERDoc's question, no. I don't think EMTs should be giving meds. If a provider wants to do more then go back to school. If that provider offers the excuse that they just can't swing it at the moment they just don't want it badly enough.

-be safe.

No. Do you feel it is a waste of resources using a physician to evaluate every patient that presents to the ED instead of just letting the admissions clerk decide who gets seen by who?

Thats stupid.

A wrist pain call can be transported BLS. Thus, why would you send it ALS?

Also the admissions clerk analogy does not work. A more appropriate theory is the nurse to Doc relationship...at least both are trained in the art of assessments. Neither EMT's nor Paramedics are trained adequately, but both are trained. An admissions clerk is not.

You only have so many ALS to go around. In your magical world where everyones an ALS provider, it wouldnt be a waste of resources. In our current reality, it is a waste of resources.

Im aware your utilization of EMT's is scare in Texas. This is not yet the ideal.

Edited 19:56 EST to assist Whit72, and other minimally literate friends at EMTcity.

Thanks for listening.

PRPG

The dicussion of ALS vs BLS transports does not always apply. In my service you call 911 for an ambulance you get ALS thats it. We have NO BLS responce nor will we ever have BLS responce. We employ only Paramedics full time and that will never change. We do have EMT-B's and I's on our part time staff however they only work with medics and never transport with out a medic. thats just the way it is here where i am.

Be Safe

Race

PRPGfirerescuetech, I am not quite tracking on the "Neither are trained adequately" part of your post. I would be curious to hear your rationale. Not picking a fight just curious.

Take care,

chbare.

PRPGfirerescuetech, I am not quite tracking on the "Neither are trained adequately" part of your post. I would be curious to hear your rationale. Not picking a fight just curious.

Take care,

chbare.

CB

No EMT or Medic is trained adequately, or to the level that we should. This is more a generalized statement, and less specific about the situation at hand.

PRPGfirerescuetech, I see, more of a general everybody needs better training & education in assessment statement.

Take care,

chbare.

Word CB, no one is up to par. Til then, we need to work with the current system. This entails using all of the resources available, including BLS 911 units.

If it falls within the BLS scope theres no reason not to utilize that level of provider, until ALS providers are up to par as well.

XoXo

PRPG

Paramedicmike wrote:

If an EMT wants to give meds then that EMT has several options including, but not limited to, paramedic school, nursing school, medical school.

The fact still remains we have this drug amongst others. And were used quite frequently when I was employed in that state.

PRPGfirerescuetech wrote:

A more appropriate theory is the nurse to Doc relationship...at least both are trained in the art of assessments. Neither are trained adequately

And now you have the expertise to judge doctors and nurses. Earth to PRPGfirerescuetech I think you have gone to long without oxygen. Even myself with my strong opinions would never make such a derogatory statement encompassing a whole field oh sorry make that two fields. You cant make such a broad statement. Stand clear of PRPG its gonna get hot in here.