The glucagon discussion

whit72

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point seemed to be that a few select individuals need to look into the effects that the medications that they propose to use more closely. I will not be drawn into "bashing" any one group, because every level is guilty on occasion.

In one of the states I am EMT in we are allowed to give Glucagon at the basic level.

Some people didn't agree with this.

And a knockdown blowout ensued.

I was just wondering if you think the use of glucagon IM, should be used by basic EMT's? Your reasoning behind it.

The protocol states It can be given in the presence of altered LOC with a blood sugar of less then 60?

And please dont post any web pages here. Someone blew up the last one doing that. He will remain nameless.

oh boy you were not around for the one that took over the Boston EMs thread?

I was around for it. It reminded me of that night I accidentally walked into that support group for those who were into bestiality, necrophilia, and sado-masochism. They were all tired of beating dead horses.

Have a good night, Whit. :)

A trained chimp can administer an IM injection. That doesn't mean he should.

The problem with allowing BLS providers to expand their scope with the current levels of education that are provided is quite simply, there is not enough time to allow for a good understanding of how the drug(s) are going to affect the patient.

Glucagon has a wide range of effects. The least of which is increasing the blood sugar. Too many things can go horribly wrong when using it, and the beneficial aspects aren't enough to tip the risk/benefit scale in it's favor.