For the medics, how would you triage this medical patient?

Personally w/ this assesment I would be happy to place the EMT in the back and trasnport BLS. But I don't have that choice. The Dept of Health in the state I work in has a law that states if the ambulance is licensed ALS the Paramedic MUST ride in the back w/ the patient. Stupid rule for calls like this.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally w/ this assesment I would be happy to place the EMT in the back and trasnport BLS. But I don't have that choice. The Dept of Health in the state I work in has a law that states if the ambulance is licensed ALS the Paramedic MUST ride in the back w/ the patient. Stupid rule for calls like this.

That might be the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. Ok, seems I need to send my gleeful lynch mob down south to have a discussion with your EMS rep's?

*buys stock in rope*

Because the ER is so close, I would just take her myself and put her on the monitor and get a BGL. I'd rather be safe then sorry. For all I know she could have been huffing paint and doesn't want to share that with me. Then I let her go by BLS and she has an allergic reaction and they can't maintain an airway because they get stuck waiting on a train that delays them to the ER. Yeah I know it is bit much, but you never know.

They pay me to be a paramedic, so unless it is a minor problem that can be solved in the Fast Track of the ER, I ride it.

Then I let her go by BLS and she has an allergic reaction and they can't maintain an airway because they get stuck waiting on a train that delays them to the ER. Yeah I know it is bit much, but you never know.

You could always preform a Chinese fire drill...

Correct, your medic is 5 feet away in the wheelmans seat for this scenario.

Um, I drive around in my own squad...the ambulance is staffed by two EMT's.

Um, I drive around in my own squad...the ambulance is staffed by two EMT's.

Ahh, but the case at hand was a B/P unit, not an intercept unit+BLS ambulance.