For the medics, how would you triage this medical patient?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dispatched: Unknown Medical

Arrived to find a 34 year old female, alert and oriented, complaining of new onset dizziness. Began 5 minutes prior to 911. Denies any other medical or traumatic malady.

PMHX: None

Meds: None

Allergies: Ragweed

Exam:

Neuro: Without noted deficits

SKIN: Warm/Pink/Dry

Head: Benign

Face: benign

Airway: Patent

Neck: Benign

Chest: Benign

Lungs: Equal all fields

Abd: SNT all quad

PELVIS: Benign

EXT: Good ROM, weight bearing with normal gait

Vitals:

124/82, 84, 14, 99%, LS clear and equal, Pupils EnR

Your the medic on a limited mic unit on a semi-urban enviroment, with the patient in a large park area.

Do you triage this patient ALS and ride it in? Or triage to your EMT, and drive happily to your locaL ED, singing happily to your kumbyah self for gleefully avoiding a chart?

Please reply with what would you do and an explanation of why?

Did she activate the system or did someone else?

How hot is it out?

What was she doing prior to symptoms?

What exactley is a mic unit?

Will she except treatment and trasport?

If yes package her, reasses vitals before transport. If no changes. Transport BLS .

Possibly allergic reation? The fact that 911 was initiated 5 min after the first symptoms. Approx. 5 min response time? You have been on scene assesing for maybe 5 mins, you package her in the ambulance. So your 20 mins in from onset of first symptoms with no vital sign changes. and your reassesment is unremarkable. In my opinion BLS would be fine. If I had a Medic partner, and he wanted to ride thats fine. If it was a BLS truck I wouldnt activate ALS.

It could possibley be that the pt is just dizzy.

Being dizzy in it self is not a medical emergency. Crap I been dizzy half my life.

What exactly is your problem with me any way. I was wrong the scenario wasnt yours. But your critique of my assesment and treatment is not warrented.

You refuse to sit back and attempt to learn. Your ignorant to education, and those new to the system need to be encouraged to practice appropriately, not accordance to protocols and nothing else.

Your upsetting the locals fella...