Dustdevil in Iraq-with pictures!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, you said checkem out, and I did. You're right, it's beautiful there...meaning that pic next to the body of water. I haven't used a latrine in over a decade. :shock:

FYI: I look older than you do, man. Must be all the BS politics I deal with on an every-other-day basis. You look ready to take on the world in those pics...I look like I just want to dig a hole, and pull the earth in over me. :lol:

Wanna switch for awhile? I'd love a change of pace! :twisted:

Seriously though, stay safe. Kevlar & ceramic are your friends!

• 3 weeks later...
Other than the shears and sharpie, what's are the things on your vest for?

There's a ballpoint pen next to the Sharpie. The little black thing is a small LED light with a bulb colour appropriate for whatever aircraft I am most likely to be inside. The blue thing is a Carpuject syringe for morphine. And the carabier/snap link is primarily for hanging my helmet on when I am not wearing it. It also doubles as an attachment point for a rescue line. You'll see a lot of soldiers and marines with them on their shoulders, and they put their rifle slings through it. It works better for some than slinging your rifle over your shoulder, and it keeps you from losing your weapon.

Okay, so as you can tell, I am back from vacation! Consequently, I don't really have any new Iraq pics except for this one:

ef5cab491d.jpg

I went back and got a pic of me with the Saddam shrine just in time. They painted over it about a week later. It was the last one left here.

LOL! It's a Russian made AK-47. We see quite a few different variations out here, depending on where you are. If you look at a formation of Iraqi soldiers or police, it's not often you'll see two guys in a row holding the same model of AK. The Iraqis themselves made a pretty decent version, which has a vertical hand grip that is part of the wooden forestock. It is becoming the most common version out here. We also see Egyptian versions. I like the Russians, personally.

So, Dust I've been meaning to ask for a while what you were doing with the AK..... I know you hate wankers and whackers (not always the same thing over here) but shooting is a bit harsh!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.