Squmpers

I'm glad you sent a link along, as I've heard of these things for years, but never seen one. Now that I have, I can say that I wouldn't want to work in one. As for the patient, I can only wonder what they'd feel like riding at 90 degrees to direction of travel, especially when the vehicle hits potholes, or has to do a sudden slowdown due to traffic, pedestrians, or animals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen one good combo fire/ambulance. Not much to it but we have a 2006 Horton with a FireFighter's compartment on the outside. It holds 2 SCBA, 2 sets of Bunkers, 2 LiteBoxs, and a Halligan and Pick-Head Axe. That's real handy in a lot of situations but the best application I can think of is when your pt is 3 days rotting in the bathroom. Can I get a hell yea?

• 6 months later...

Imagine the wise old sages of EMT City thinking something is dumb.

We use a 1998 Freighliner FL60 as a squad truck. Duke Life Flight sold it to us real cheap. Yes, it was a critical care transport vehicle. No, we don't transport patients. The truck is used as a first responder unit. It carries all of our medical gear, plus there's plenty of storage for extrication equipment. We kept the stretcher. Our EMS crews don't always get to our area promptly. My guess is they're too busy making smarta$$ comments on EMT City. Ain't it the dumbest thing you ever heard? A warm, dry place for the patient to wait for transport? It's also a nice place to rehab, especially if someone has a problem on a fire scene. Who gives a rat's a$$ about the patient? We're too busy trying to make EMS a "worthy" profession. Only thing missing here is a bitch slap emoticon.

Shayne

Shayne, I said it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen I didn't say it wasn't a useful thing.

I do agree that if you don't transport patients in it then it's a good idea. it would be especially useful to treat injured or ill responders before the EMS unit gets there. Just don't transport them in this thing. Can you imagine trying to drive a pumper into a ambulance garage at the local hospital? Can you say STUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

We use a 1998 Freighliner FL60 as a squad truck. Duke Life Flight sold it to us real cheap. Yes, it was a critical care transport vehicle. No, we don't transport patients. The truck is used as a first responder unit. It carries all of our medical gear, plus there's plenty of storage for extrication equipment. We kept the stretcher. <snip> A warm, dry place for the patient to wait for transport? It's also a nice place to rehab, especially if someone has a problem on a fire scene.

Nothing wrong with that. Unless, of course, the thing has a hose bed, a pump, a tank, and some ladders. Great idea, actually.

Our EMS crews don't always get to our area promptly. My guess is they're too busy making smarta$$ comments on EMT City. Ain't it the dumbest thing you ever heard? A warm, dry place for the patient to wait for transport? It's also a nice place to rehab, especially if someone has a problem on a fire scene. Who gives a rat's a$$ about the patient? We're too busy trying to make EMS a "worthy" profession. Only thing missing here is a bitch slap emoticon.

Dude, I usually respect what you have to say here, but you just lost major points on this one. WTF? We're talking about squmpers and you're talking about rehab squads. Two completely different things altogether. The latter is clearly a great, universally recommended idea. The former is just -- for lack of a better term -- retarded, which is why they are such an anomaly. Why the heck would you get all bent out of shape over that? You didn't seem to be in this post, but are you actually saying that squmpers are a real brainstorm? Did you recommend one for your volly squad, or something? I don't get it. :?

Let's see if I'm getting the 4-1-1 on this squmper business. Sycamore Township EMS and Fire has Class 2 ISO rating. Not too bad. Chief Jetter has a PhD. Why would he buy a fire truck with a stretcher inside? According to folks around here, that's retarded. I apologize to any actual retards. Most of the opinions expressed are incorrect. It's a real fire truck. 750 gallon water tank. 2,000 gpm pump. I bet it has some hose somewhere. Why the stretcher? It can't be an ambulance. I doubt many patients have been transported in these trucks. Uses for the stretcher are stated in my previous post. It's not a far fetched vehicle.

Definitions of ambulance on the Web:

wagon or boxcar used to transport wounded or ill soldiers from the field

www.nps.gov/vick/eduguide/chp_7/cwterms.htm

vehicle, but also boat or aircraft, equipped for carrying sick and wounded persons, abbreviation: AMB

home.att.net/~steinert/united_states_army_general_medic2.htm

means a ground or air vehicle which is licensed as required by law, as an Ambulance, and is equipped to transport sick or injured persons.

www.culins.com/glossary.htm

Vehicle (but also Boat or Aircraft) used for the conveyance of the sick and wounded, abbreviation Amb

users.skynet.be/jeeper/Terms%20A.html

a vehicle that takes people to and from hospitals

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

An ambulance is a vehicle designated for the transport of sick or injured people. The first ambulances called by that name were horse ambulances used in the American Civil War. The first practical ambulances were created by Dominique Jean Larrey, a French surgeon (1766-1842), for use in the Napoleonic Wars. Modern-day ambulances are typically large automobiles on a van or light truck chassis.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambulance

Contempt prior to investigation is ignorance.

Shayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.