American EMT-XYZ - Do they have too much responsibilty?

American EMT-XYZ - Do they have too much responsibilty?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes - I have zero idea what I'm doing half the time.
    • No - I know all. Gimme some 'mo. RSI for all.
    • I'm ok. You're ok.
    • Canada sucks.
    • Alyssa Milano made who's the boss what it was. Johnathan sucked.

I've been thinking of this since it was posted. I'm not sure if there is too much responsibility relative to the amount of education. I have only attended one medic school so my response might be slanted somewhat. I feel we do receive adequate education, as always you only get out of it what you are willing to put into it. This is college, not high school, no ones going to hold your hand here. If someone wants to coast and barely pass then he is still a EMT-P/ PCP or whatever. The person that finishes last in Med school is still a Doctor. Conversely, if one applies themselves and works extra hard and studies their ass off, then they are going to be a better provider.

Just to flip this a bit, Do Ontario PCP's have to much education for the skills they are allowed? Obviously, they have the education being in a two year full time program including Pharm, A & P, and the rest, forgive I haven't looked it up, my bad. One would think that with all that education, they could at least intubate. I'm not looking to argue, just asking the question, are the Ontario protocols to restricted?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean clearly, Jonathan was gay. If it wasn't for eleven year old Alissa, that show would have been cancelled after its first season. And Tony and Angela? Please! we all know that Tony was secretly with Mona the whole time. Eh OH, Oh

Eh.

:lol::lol: Thats to funny.

Just to flip this a bit, Do Ontario PCP's have to much education for the skills they are allowed? Obviously, they have the education being in a two year full time program including Pharm, A & P, and the rest, forgive I haven't looked it up, my bad. One would think that with all that education, they could at least intubate. I'm not looking to argue, just asking the question, are the Ontario protocols to restricted?

Or does their level of education approach the level of education that the entry level position should have?

Or does their level of education approach the level of education that the entry level position should have?

In Ontario, 2 years full time college that is the equivalent to your AAS.

Your system would collapse...

May be it will, but at least the basics would know how to do something more for medical patients then take a BP, put on a NRB (because they only do it because you 'give O2 to everyone), and drive.

/hates the basic SOP and level of "education."

How about this one...does more meds in your bag equal better patient care? I would like some honest answers here, how many drugs are in your bag/box and how many of those drugs get used on a routine basis?

So does an ER that routinely see cardiac not need to carry hypertension medications, or vasopressors, or even pitocin for O.B.'s since deliveries rarely occur ?..

Yes, there is a happy medium, but to just use or have the ability of what you really use is asinine. I have not given Epi sub-q only about 10 times in 30 years, should I not carry it ?... How, about Dopamine, which I only use about once a month.. should I discard it as well.... that is all fine and dandy, until you are on that call with anaphylaxis or cardiogenic shock. Please, don't even think of diesel medicine. I am health care professional.

Yes, each service needs to be reasonable on what is used and important, but at the same time be wise.

Be safe,

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.