American EMT-XYZ - Do they have too much responsibilty?

American EMT-XYZ - Do they have too much responsibilty?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes - I have zero idea what I'm doing half the time.
    • No - I know all. Gimme some 'mo. RSI for all.
    • I'm ok. You're ok.
    • Canada sucks.
    • Alyssa Milano made who's the boss what it was. Johnathan sucked.

After reading countless posts on scope of practice and educational requirements of my American friends, it begs the question...

Do American EMT-XYZ's GENERALLY have too many drugs and too much responsibilty in their scope of practice relative to the amount of education that they recieve?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading countless posts on scope of practice and educational requirements of my American friends, it begs the question...

Do American EMT-XYZ's GENERALLY have too many drugs and too much responsibilty in their scope of practice relative to the amount of education that they recieve?

umm, yes? where are you going with this? You might have well asked if the sky is blue...

I think some services have way too many drugs than necessary. You look at some services that have upwards of 40-50 medications in their bag and they might give 15 of them on a routine basis. What's the point in having a large selection of drugs that your never going to use? What's the eduction like for those people, how many of them know the inside and out of each of those medications that never get used compared to the ones used routinely? Too many drugs in the bag can be a bad thing...

[quote="ncmedic309

I think some services have way too many drugs than necessary. You look at some services that have upwards of 40-50 medications in their bag and they might give 15 of them on a routine basis. What's the point in having a large selection of drugs that your never going to use? What's the eduction like for those people, how many of them know the inside and out of each of those medications that never get used compared to the ones used routinely? Too many drugs in the bag can be a bad thing...

In any group of people, there will be at least one that does not have any idea what is happening around them.

EMS is no different. Some EMT's-of all levels-couldn't find their own backside with both hands and a mirror.

Yes, the educational requirements in the US are god-awful. However, some providers take it upon themselves to become exceptional. Rare, yes, but it does happen.

Increasing educational requirements, as has been stated numerous times, will only help the problem. I can't help but wonder how many of the current providers, would be willing to go back to school to be "upgraded" if and when it happens.

Tony never had anything after Who's The Boss. :lol:

With that said, it depends on the person we are talking about. I believe that there are providers who are capable doing their job great, and then there are others who I think would be better off driving a tow truck. However; if we are going to point fingers, then I think the same could be said for Canada, and the rest of the world. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.