American EMT-XYZ - Do they have too much responsibilty?

American EMT-XYZ - Do they have too much responsibilty?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes - I have zero idea what I'm doing half the time.
    • No - I know all. Gimme some 'mo. RSI for all.
    • I'm ok. You're ok.
    • Canada sucks.
    • Alyssa Milano made who's the boss what it was. Johnathan sucked.

How about this one...does more meds in your bag equal better patient care? I would like some honest answers here, how many drugs are in your bag/box and how many of those drugs get used on a routine basis?

No more drugs in the bag doesn't equal better patient care directly, the drugs don't just walk up and inject themselves. If the person giving them doesn't know when to use it, how much to give, etc...then there is no point to them. Better patient care can arise from having the proper drugs to either comfort them, start working on fixing the problem, etc... I know there have been a few times when I wish we had something more for pain then Nubain for the patients comfort.

It does not matter if I carry a few drugs that are rarely used, the one time I need them is worth it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading countless posts on scope of practice and educational requirements of my American friends, it begs the question...

Do American EMT-XYZ's GENERALLY have too many drugs and too much responsibilty in their scope of practice relative to the amount of education that they recieve?

Education they receive, or education they seek

If I speak for myself, I have sought the information that I felt was missing. I train for skills above my scope so that I can always meet the requirements within my scope. The medications which I am responsible for in my scope are completely lacking complexity, but I know more about how they work than my scope calls for.

Why?

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but rather, the lighting of a fire". Once the bucket (scope of practice) is full with educational requirements, my expertise is not complete, it is started.

So maybe the a question to ask would be "Do you take responsibility for what you think you should know, or do you allow educational requirements to dictate your professionalism?"

Well here is what I have to say about this subject.....and VS and I have kinda hit on this in the chatroom but I am going to post my reply to it here....

I am an EMT Intermediate...I was trained to do certain skills and I passed all the requirements needed by the State of Virginia saying I am able to practice at this level.....The education I recieved was what got me to pass my skills and written exam...IF the education I had wasnt good enough I WOULD HAVE FAILED AND NOT BE A EMT-I...and as far as responsibility goes if you dont want the responsibility dont continue your education.....the states set up the standards to pass....the colleges teach the skills and basic knowledge needed to pass these skills....the NR makes the tests.....the person chooses to take this road or not......and expirence takes care of the rest

I am an EMT Intermediate...I was trained to do certain skills and I passed all the requirements needed by the State of Virginia saying I am able to practice at this level.....The education I recieved was what got me to pass my skills and written exam...IF the education I had wasnt good enough I WOULD HAVE FAILED AND NOT BE A EMT-I...

That's neither the point nor the question. The point is that those requirements and standards are embarrassingly low and dangerously inadequate, no matter what the state says. I am not at all impressed when the government tells me that something is "good enough." As we all know, government standards are always a measure of the absolute minimum they will let you get by with, and nothing more. Doesn't mean it's ideal. Doesn't even mean it's safe. Just acceptable. Not exatly confidence inspiring.

Sorry, but I expect more than that from a healthcare professional.

That's neither the point nor the question. The point is that those requirements and standards are embarrassingly low and dangerously inadequate, no matter what the state says.

THat is the point......the education system was set up based on National Registry standards...these standards are based on what the NR feels is adequate for the TITLE.....so are you all saying that that the NR is not capable of determining the educational standards for our profession?.......and if this is so.......then NR has really goofed when it comes to giving narrow minded people THEIR EMT P certs.....then the NR should rethink the way they do things......i bet you guys werent saying the NR has lower standards when you got your certs were ya?.....

Another product of the system.

When defending the educational system for EMS providers, we all need to keep in mind that the "system" was developed to create more, not better, providers. If you send enough people through a program eventually you will have some excellent and some not so excellent individuals. The current method is only adequate to prepare you for an entrance exam. Yes, the NREMT test is that, an entrance exam. There is a reason why you will learn more in the first six weeks of field practice, than you will in a year long class.

Even if you do come out of a program with a state of the art education, when you take the NR exam, you don't need to know more than 70% of the material. Consider in each individual section of the exam, you don't need to score more than 65% on any given subject.

Airway--63%

Cardiology--61%

Trauma--63%

Medical--60%

OB/Peds--60%

EMS Operations--No minimum requirement

How can we honestly say that the NR exam is useful, when Airway management is given such a low priority. EMS was designed around managing trauma patients, but we only are required to know 63% of the material. Yes, I realize that by scoring the minimum in each category you can't pass the overall. My question would be, how comfortable would you be to know that the provider that is treating you was unable to score higher than 70% overall on an entrance test.

The end point of education can not be guided by this exam. Good starting place, horrendously low requirement for passing.

AZCEP without these mimumal standards anyone could could become an EMS provider and to me that is more scary than a person that scores 70 on an entrance exam...

CTM....just goes to show ya ........even the GODDESS can be wrong......but i read it as he thought the standards should be higher.......it is all in the preception of the reader.......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.