Stretcher to the House?

1. I don't enter a scene that has a danger like that unless PD is there. We have some ares of town we don't even enter with out a cop. It is simple, we wait.

Oooh, Nate. You disappoint me, young Jedi. You're too smart to make such an absurd statement. Your youth and naiveté is showing.

2. I wouldn't say the back of the ambulance is the best place to be, I've had more then one pissed off person open the doors and try to come in.

Precisely why ALL ambulance doors are to remain locked at ALL times, unless we are parked inside our station. ESPECIALLY if we are in the ambulance.

Two consecutive statements that are blatant violations of the simple principles of scene safety. Sounds like you're burning out. :?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, Nate. You disappoint me, young Jedi. You're too smart to make such an absurd statement. Your youth and naiveté is showing.

Precisely why ALL ambulance doors are to remain locked at ALL times, unless we are parked inside our station. ESPECIALLY if we are in the ambulance.

Two consecutive statements that are blatant violations of the simple principles of scene safety. Sounds like you're burning out. :?

Explain your response to #1, please.

I personally like just the bag, lot of the time they cancel. Since returning back into the field, most take the cot & leave the bag in the rig... since F.D. 1'st responds most of the time, they will give us a heads up, if its a legitimate call. Very little items I need in the house.. most of my tx is now in the unit, & yes the doors lock ... but, I usually demand more scene control.

Yes, I back the rig close to the house as possible... those that have been in the field realize that carrying a damn stretcher over dips and crevices will cause it to tip & cause strain to medics.. why increase your work load because you can't back up a ambulance ?..

The way I figure it's a personal thing...who cares ?

R/R 911

#1 seems reasonable to me. If there is a recognized danger we will always wait for LE, of course that is when it is dispatched correctly (injured person= gunshot wound?). It is counterproductive to go into a scene with known dangers without at least LE, and an engine crew is nice too, as you cannot concentrate on the needs of your patient without scene safety assured.

Explain your response to #1, please.

Dust...sweetheart.... :love7: ....I, too, need an explanation to this one. You know I love you millions...but there were many situations in my career that if I had gone hoofing it into a house, apt. bldg, condo, high rise, alley, abandoned building...etc...I would have been killed. If I have something to learn from this...I'm all ears. But, ...yikes.... :shock: there are just some places in my neck of the woods that you don't go without the po po....that's all there is to it.

Be nice now...I'm just curious.... :wink:

xoxoxoxo

Luv, 8

They can sue me, number one thing (remember back in school) is the safety of you and your crew.

The only doors that lock are the cab doors, all of the other doors are just like a fire truck....no locks. Now at the other service I work for we do have locks on the doors (and they are used).

The military has an acronym that we used to say that things changed. METT-T. Mission Enemy Time Terrain Troops. (yes I know it has changed) I kind of use this thinking to decide. I use information given in the dispatch, the weather, what type of house/location, and amount of help to decide. A lot of times I will head in with the aid/observer/student while the driver gets the ambulance turned around and the cot unloaded. Sometime if we are a two man crew, and an engine crew was dispatched the Engine driver will reposition the ambulance. Like I said it depends. We have a Veterans home we run alot. Long way from unit to room, and almost always transport. Cot goes in!!.

Sarge

Full setup for anything non residential. Residences based on dispatch, bag only, if that. The truck is my workshop, not the floor of the house.[quote]That is what I am talking about.

"We have one medic who likes everything on the litter, and to take it along. Luckily, she does not do that with me."

Don't want to be rude in saying this, but if the Paramedic wants to take everything in, there is probably a good reason for this. Correct me if I am wrong, but we DO work for the patient at a time of need. If there is any doubts about what is going on, I surely hope the medic will error on the side of the patient. It isn't hard work to take everything in. I am sure we have all been caught with our pants down once or twice in our careers. We learn from our own mistakes!

Full setup for anything non residential. Residences based on dispatch' date= bag only, if that. The truck is my workshop, not the floor of the house.[quote]That is what I am talking about.

"We have one medic who likes everything on the litter, and to take it along. Luckily, she does not do that with me." Don't want to be rude in saying this, but if the Paramedic wants to take everything in, there is probably a good reason for this. Correct me if I am wrong, but we DO work for the patient at a time of need. If there is any doubts about what is going on, I surely hope the medic will error on the side of the patient. It isn't hard work to take everything in. I am sure we have all been caught with our pants down once or twice in our careers. We learn from our own mistakes!

No, I mean everything AND the litter. I have no problem bringing bags to the patient. NO LITTER into a residence until you have a chance to check things out, and do what needs done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.