Stretcher to the House?

The stretcher isn't always the best or most appropraite tool for extriaction or removal of the pt to 'tha bus' at every call..so hence the policy holds no water, or weight for that matter.... Sounds more they dont expect you to be able to perform the basic functions of your job, which is quite common nowadays...

out here,

ACe844

As I said earlier, there are exceptions to the rule. Do I take the stretcher in on every call? Absolutely not. They are quite confident that I can perform the basic functions of my job but realize that I need my "equipment" (airway bag, monitor, drug box, O2) in order to do that. :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their explanation is that it makes no sense to enter a residence, public facility, etc. where there has been a request for EMS with no equipment. What good does it do for my partner and I to walk in with nothing else? If it turns out to be a diabetic pt., then everything I need is right there with me vs. my having to run back to the unit to fetch things. It's just easier, IMO. And at this point it's so second nature to me that even if it weren't policy, I'd still do it. :wink:

Whoa, wait a minute.... wtf are you talking about? Who said anything about going to your patient empty handed? :?

Nobody said any such thing here. We are talking only about whether it is appropriate to delay your arrival at your patient's side to drag the STRETCHER in with you. Of course you would ALWAYS take your equipment in with you. In fact, I would bet I probably take more equipment into a house with me than most medics do. But there is absolutely NO good reason to bring the stretcher with you in 99 percent of the scenarios. It slows you down. It encumbers you. And it does not save you a trip back to the ambulance. So really, there is simply no point to it. I would be very hesitant to work for an employer who couldn't figure that out.

As I said earlier, there are exceptions to the rule. Do I take the stretcher in on every call? Absolutely not.

So admittedly you violate your own agency policies on a potentially regular basis and thats,... OK? hmmmm..sounds like a classic case of as

Some pigs are more equal than others.."

Or is this statement you made 'untrue'..;

Their explanation is that it makes no sense to enter a residence, public facility, etc. where there has been a request for EMS with no equipment. What good does it do for my partner and I to walk in with nothing else? If it turns out to be a diabetic pt., then everything I need is right there with me vs. my having to run back to the unit to fetch things. It's just easier, IMO. And at this point it's so second nature to me that even if it weren't policy, I'd still do it. ..

food for thought....

ACE844

Whoa, wait a minute.... wtf are you talking about? Who said anything about going to your patient empty handed? :?

Nobody said any such thing here. We are talking only about whether it is appropriate to delay your arrival at your patient's side to drag the STRETCHER in with you. Of course you would ALWAYS take your equipment in with you. In fact, I would bet I probably take more equipment into a house with me than most medics do. But there is absolutely NO good reason to bring the stretcher with you in 99 percent of the scenarios. It slows you down. It encumbers you. And it does not save you a trip back to the ambulance. So really, there is simply no point to it. I would be very hesitant to work for an employer who couldn't figure that out.

See, I didn't read the entire thread. Heh. :oops: :lol:

See, I didn't read the entire thread. Heh. :oops: :lol:

Hehehe... I'm actually very glad to hear that! I was going to be very disappointed if you were trying to spin the discussion. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.