traffic light controls in ur cities

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard some of my supervisors say that those are the way to stop most public housing projects problems.

For the uninformed, the MOAB is the "Massive Ordnance Air Burst" bomb, of which I don't know if it is a bigger "boom" than the Daisy Cutter bomb, also a large conventional (non Atomic or Nuclear) explosive.

From what I have read, the MOAB is so big, it physically can't be carried in a B-52 StratoFortress Bomber, or a B-1-B "Stealth" bomber, instead, it has to be dropped like a pallet of supplies from a C-130 (or is that the C-150?) Hercules cargo plane. Supposedly, it is called the "Poor Man's 'A' Bomb."

The MOAB was the bomb dropped, first on the African town, and then on the stricken American town, with the Ebola (spelling?) Virus, in the Dustin Hoffman movie, "Outbreak."

• 1 year later...

In my area we use the 'Opticom,' system as well. As far as ordnance, I think plasma yield weapons would work nicely here as they just 'vaporize' the target. None of those big messes to clean up or craters to dodge.... 8)

ACE

Our primary ambulance is equipped with an Opticom. Out of the 4 or 5 hospitals we frequently deliver patients to, only one has a stop light we need to get through. There is one street light in our service area, and it is not equipped with an Opticom receiver.

As far as vehicle destruction goes, I don't care about the mess...i'd just like to get to play with a Minigun :twisted: Unfortunately I'm good at reading maps, so I get to drive infrequently. I suppose a minigun would be a great reason to not drive.

All of our ambulances and fire apparatus are equipped with Opticom. I don't have exact figures on how many intersections are Opticom-equipped, but I would guess somewhere around 75% based on my observations. Certainly all of the larger intersections are equipped.

It's nice to have, but often the Opticom won't trigger until we're practically on top of the intersection.

We don't have control over the lights here and I'm pretty sure fire doesn't either (near positive). I don't think any service in Ontario has them, though I could be wrong.

Overall, in my opinion I think they would be dangerous and offer a false sense of security. They wouldn't save you more than a minute (as opposed to slowing/stopping at a red light and then proceeding when safe) and would increase the thought process that people could simply sail through an intersection because they have/know they'll have a green.

I couldn't think of a real reason to have them, urban or rural. Money better spent else where

The opticom systems I have seen work extremely well. It gets the traffic in front of you out of the way to allow a clear path through an intersection, instead of a traffic jam- the trick is to have it turn green when you are still far enough away that the other drivers will take the light before seeing/hearing you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.