MAST Pants....

ambogrl

Do you use MAST pants in your protocols?  

94 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, whenever needed.
    • Sometimes, they are in the rig but we don't use them that much.
    • Not really, we have them and can use them but rarely do.
    • Never, we are not even allowed to carry as equipment.

Hey just a quickie....

I was wondering who still uses MAST pants?

I have heard a few comments on the site and I was just wondering who keeps them in the rig, and who uses them and of course your location. The reason I ask is that we are not allowed to use them here (California, USA), not even allowed to carry them as equipment.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have them but we have never used them the whole time ive been with my company. If they went in a cabinet than i would say they have 3 inches of dust one them. lol I almost used them once. that was for an unstable pelvic fx there great for stabilizing them. but we had our cravats and a few tricks up our sleeves so we didn't bother with them.

We also have to call med-con for orders and well from what i have heard some of them don't know how to use them themselves. deflate in the ED ohh how scary.

The above stated is only hearsay and unknown to actual events that have happened.

Last revision, state took them off the equipment list.

Our medical director and boss said to take them off.

I guess that is a good thing, because I haven't used them (except for testing) in about 10 years.

It's funny because I teach the EMT Bs coming in how to use them, we carry them on our medics everywhere in Oregon but we aren't allowed to use them. Our medics can't even remember when the last time they were used was.

They are in the NYS BLS protocols for shock and unstable pelvic fx but they are rarely used. We can use them on a standing order if the BP is below 50 or if the BP is below 90 and there is an unstable pelvic fx. We were told that they are loosing favor in EM and may go someday.

We carry them on the truck... we have to prove we can use them once or twice every couple years... but we hardly ever use them in the field... there has been only one call where we were getting ready to use them.. but the helo arrived before we could get them on... so we just left him strapped to the backbord... this guy was fkd up anyway... and we had quickly loaded him onto the spine board and headed for the LZ... bagging him the whole way.... any injury you can think of he had... guy died on the OR table... but yeah... so we don't really use them that often

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.