AMR takeover tactics

]"AMR is coming! AMR is coming!"[/color] :shock: That was the cry last week at the service I work at part-time. We are a 503c non-profit in the process of switching to a public utility model. We are about 1 year out from the whole thing going out "Request For Proposal" (the county judge doesn't want to bid) and we knew AMR was interested. This week they suddenly parked 4 ambulances and 2 wheelchair vans somewhere here in the county. Until this happened, AMR had NO assets in Arkansas. They lost the Tulsa/OK City PUM (EMSA) a few years ago. Rumor has it they are going to try to drive us out before the RFP so that there is no competition. We heard that they have a hostile takeover plan, a non-hostile plan, and a plan to simply drive you out.

Has anyone been taken over, survived a takeover, driven out AMR? What are we in for?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEWARE of the EVIL EMPIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will come to town and sell the politicians a carpet bag full of promises if only they are given the exclusive contract, then once they sign the deal in comes Darth Vader and the rest of his evil empire. nuff said!!! been there done that left the job for pastures without the empire

Actually AMR was never in Tulsa or OKC. EMSA is a trust EMS (Emergency Medical Services Authority) and was operated by Seiko management group before the current management.

R/R 911

I was thinking the same thing, but then most people outside of Tulsa & OKC don't really understand what EMSA is anyways. For the record EMSA is currently managed by Paramedics Plus from Texas. Does AMR even bid for the EMSA contract?

OK, for the OT part. I leave for 7 days and there are 693 new posts. WOW, that's a lot to look through.

Hey Noah! While you're catching up on the latest posts, don't miss AK's post about the "X country trip" in the non-EMS discussion forum. You need to meet up with us all in OKC!

• 2 weeks later...

Chaz,

I poked through AMR's website, and found their corporate policy page, where you may view them in PDF format, if you have not done so already. I didn't see anything related to how they'll treat existing providers already in place...but maybe it's in there somewhere, and I missed it.

Here's the link--> http://www.amr.net/CorpCompliance/Corporat...ll_policies.htm

I personally have nothing against paid EMS. I worked for a few Ambulance Services in my time, Metro and rural alike. What I do have a problem with is a municipality outsourcing their EMS to a company like AMR...and not providing a clause that AMR or whomever must allow existing employees a position w/ comparable benifits, etc.

Like Chris Rock said when he was running for President, "THAT @#$& AIN'T RIGHT!"

When AMR came into Massachusettes, New Hampshire and Maine several years ago they did take on many of the employees of the previous companies. In fact, we still have many of them still working for us now. Nobody is just going to come in and wipe out the status quo, it's too risky. They need the contacts and the local area knowledge that the previous entities have accumulated throughout the years. Usually the management teams will change, but many of the front-line employees will have an opportunity to stay in their current position.

Yeah. fortunately, if AMR is the same everywhere...you won't have to worry about 911 contracts for long. Here in NH and Mass. areas, AMR has never actually won a bid for a 911 service area. They've kept some, lost a few. Any that they do want bad enough, well...they just bought the company that had it. Bingo, instant 911 service areas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.