AMR takeover tactics

The reason why you eliminate those in a supervisor or leadership role is because you want to isolate any threat of a mutiny. That isn't being mean, that is smart business. What your left with is a bunch of people who will continue to work for you provided you pay somewhat around what you were making before. I've seen several cities that have changed services and the people stay, they just put on a different uniform. That happened in Galveston County when they went from Rural Metro, to GoldStar, and finally to their individual city services.

AMR has a bad reputation here in Houston, they use to back up a lot of 911 services and handle a lot of hospitals. Now all they do is Memorial Hermann Hospital chain, mutual aid HFD, and work a few stand by events. They are always hiring because they can't hold onto employees and they don't always hire the best (that comes from friends who work there).

AMR has money, and each location is going to be different because they are all ran by a different management team. So if you have an area where they do a good job, then you'll get a good "story," and if your in an area that sucks...then you'll hear how AMR sucks.

If AMR is taking over your area and you don't want them there, your county judge, and other county officials don't want them there and you should have nothing to worry about. I don't know how your state works, but in Texas the county/city makes choices in regards to their provider, not the state.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an EMT (yet) but I was looking into AMR as a possible place to apply - Seeing this thread makes me wonder if thats a bad idea? Or is it simply because they are taking over smaller companies?

Christi, AMR is as good an employer as any. Better than most. And they are successful because they are serious businessmen. Their success is your success as an employee. This thread is about how they affect people working in an area they take over. It has nothing to do with how it is to work for them, which again, is about as good as any other. And yeah... if you want to work in EMS in LV, you really don't have a choice.

The only issues I didn't like about AMR is:

1. The pay sucks.

2. They only let you work 8, 12, or 16 hour shifts (around here).

3. Paramedic/Basic truck, mostly paramedic calls.

4. Almost nothing but transfer.

5. Posting.

6. They don't seem to want to work with school schedules (around here).

However, if I was new into EMS and looking for a company that wasn't going to go out of business, get shut down for Medicare fraud tomorrow, and would make sure the person I was working with was capable of performing at their skill; then I'd probably go to AMR. I actually ask the new hires we get why they picked this service, you'd be surprised how many don't do their homework and simply say "because you have pretty ambulances." :shock:

You guys think I'm joking, but one day your going to see a Dateline Special on EMS in Houston. Heck right now there is a private service in North Houston that is upset that the local 911 service started doing transfers to help offset their costs. So they threw a big fit and a few of them are in trouble for vandalizing that 911 services ambulances. I think if someone told me to go key an ambulance because they were taking calls from us that I'd walk out and keep on walking to another service for a new job.

So back on topic, you can do a lot worse then AMR....a lot worse!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.