EMT-B straight to Medic?

OK,

I am getting ready to start emtb school in the summer and was planning on starting paramedic care 1 immediately following. I have asked a few people on here if they thought that was a good idea and i have gotten 50/50 feedback . Some say that it is better to go straight into medic school and other say that i would be making a huge mistake, for if i went straight through school without stopping at the emtb for a few years i would more less be dumbfounded when i became a paramedic. I would appreciate your comments.

thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had zero EMS experience when I dropped out of nursing school to go through paramedic school. I did both basic and medic classes accelerated, and never worked in the field, other than clinicals, until I graduated. Not everyone could do that, and I do not reccomend doing that at all.

I think you will make a huge mistake by not going straight through to medic school. I used to have the opposite opinion, but for job security, finding a job, making a decent living within a reasonable time, it be foolish to postpone medic school. Remember by the time you get through school, you will have had 1-2 years experience. Spend your time on education... experience will come. Besides basics are a dime a dozen to free in Oklahoma, get your medic so you can a job.

There are too many "I'll get some experience first, well meaning EMT's that NEVER return.... look at the posts. It is too easy to get hooked into being a basic and never progressing. The longer you wait the more competition for that spot and less money you will make...

Good luck,

R/R 911

How can you do something without experience in the base knowledge. Work as an EMT-B until you are comfortable with the skills. These are the skills that will make or break you as a paramedic.

I got my EMT-B cert in December, and started Paramedic classes 3 weeks later. I don't feel remotely like I'm at a disadvantage to those who've been working in the field for awhile. I am currently volunteering at a VFD while I'm in school to get experience under my belt, and this combination works great for me. I'm sooooo glad I started now as opposed to waiting, and don't regret it at all. :wink:

I really think it's up to the individual. I for one am one who went straight from BLS into ALS. (Literally, I had a weekend between the end date of my PCP schooling and the start date of my ACP schooling.) I had talked to many people before starting the program, and the general consensus I had reached was that it was a bad idea for me to go right into ALS right away ... however, being the youngen that I am (only 22) I think part of me was quite stubborn and I took the ALS program anyways with an attitude of "oh, you don't say I can do this? well watch me ... "

I was really apprehensive during my first few weeks of classes, but once we got into the swing of things, I noticed the other students were actually quite welcoming. There was a few people in my class that had been BLS providers for about the same amount of time that I've been alive, and they were very helpful in encouraging me and told me it was refreshing to see someone take such an interest in EMS. It also helped, because we were all on the same playing field academically and when it came to scenarios. Whether you had 20 years of experience or none (as in my case) we were all treated the same by the faculty of the school, and everyone tortured in the same ways ... haha

If you think you can do it, then do it. Remember, it's your choice, and many people (especially those who will feel intimidated by you) are going to try and discourage you from it, because it's not the 'norm'.

Zach

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.