EMT-B straight to Medic?

Firstly, I agree with basically everything that nsmedic393 said.

Secondly, the case with TJ83 would be extremely rare in Ontario. All PCP's in Ontario are generally required 1-3 years experience as a PCP (all PCP's work 911) before even being eligible to apply to an ACP program. To my knowledge there is only one college in Ontario that allows you to apply sans experience (which I assume is the one TJ83 is going to).

In my opinion it just makes things all the more difficult going straight to ALS prior to true BLS road experience. Talking to patients, controlling the scene, knowing the "system" are as important (if not more) than the medicine itself. Difficult to do that when all you have is precepting experience (i.e. even subconsciously knowing there are 2 other people there to CYA), and especially when you will ultimately be the highest medical authority on 99% of the calls with no other ACP's around.

I'm in an 18 month, 5 semester program. Each semester, we're required to put in at least 48 clinical hours. These hours come from time in the ER, OR, the 5 ICU's, Cardiac Floor, going around with the Respiratory and IV teams, and a few shifts with the flight nurses/paramedics. During clinicals, we're also required to get 50 successful IV sticks, 20 intubations and 30 complete written patient assessments each semester. Even though we're only required 48 hours, this semester I'm putting in 60.

After that, at the end of the program, we must complete a 300 hour (25- 12 hour shifts) internship with our county EMS agency. It's not just going to be a ride-along type thing- we actually have to perform our paramedic skills and do assessments in the field.

The hours put in for clinical look half decent. You have to have 250 IV starts, 100 tubes, and 150 patient assessments total after the 5 semesters? Not bad, and seems honestly high, especially from what I have read on these forums. Those kinds of counts certainly would exceed what we have to do here.

In all honesty though, for me clinical gets boring quick. Especially for those that have one or many years of experience prior. It is cool if you can do a whole whack of IV's in a row or get a few tubes in a row, but generally it is pretty dry.

Unfortunately your programs internship (preceptorship) looks very low. 300 hours is not adequate in my opinion, especially if you work in a lower volume area.

*Beating dead horse*

Ontario PCP = 2 years - roughly 800-1000 hours didactic, 100-150 clinical, 350-500 hours preceptorship.

Ontario ACP = PCP + 1 year (usually part time) - roughly 300 hours didactic, 160-240 clinical, 480-600 preceptorship.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd been an ambulance attendant for twenty years before I took the Paramedic class. I'd been an EMT-A for about a year. But you have to remember, the EMT concept was only a year old, and the paramedic concept was just designed. My two-digit certification number should be a sign of that.

But I had more training that the next guy anyway, having been a combat medic, I'd been running IV's for years before we started doing it on ambulances. Personally, though, I'd like to see someone have a little street expirence before they even start the Paramedic Program.. and I don't mean ride alongs.

I have to say that you might be better off attending the EMT-Basic class, taking the advice of your preceptors, instructors, and trusted friends. You should evaluate your situation, after all we can't not tell you whether or not it is a good idea since we don't know you. Generally there are people I have came across who I was kind of glad they stayed at the EMT-B level, and others that I have urged to go onto Parmaedic school.

It just depends on how well you grasp the material, how much time you put into the course, and how quick you learn. :wink:

Go get your EMT and then get a couple years of expierence and then consider going to paramedic school. I've seen several people jump right into the paramedic program right out of basic school and fail out before the end. Some people can probably pull it off right out of EMT-B classs, but I wouldn't recommend it...

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone straight from basic to medic. I have been a basic for 10 years now and am finally able, God willing, to go back for my paramedic this fall. I am now 42 years old and my time is limited in this field. I am already too old for some places. Financial circumstances stood in my way of schooling and now I find myself in the position to go back. I have alot of regrets now for waiting like I did. Whatever your decision, make sure it is not one you will regret later.

Hello all,

I have to give my opinion on this. I think you need to be an EMT to be a Paramedic. Remember BLS before ALS.

I see that in some places you don't do any street time until you are finished class. I took my class st a Level 1 Trauma Center. We did clinicals and street time while the class was going on. We had a date that we had to be signed off in the street, if not that was it. Precepting was done in 2 cities.

Just my opinions. Be safe and have a great day.

The absolute very best medics I have ever worked with in my entire career have all -- to the very last one -- been medics who went straight through from zero to hero with absolutely no field experience in between. That's too many medics and too many years to be coincidence. It is simply how the educational process works optimally in just about any field. Breaking up the process into disassociated segments fragments the continuity of your education. No education professional will tell you that is a good idea.

There is no other medical profession that structures their educational process like that. LVN's don't have to be nurses aides first. RN's don't have to be LVN's first. PA's don't have to be nurses first. Physicans don't have to be PA's first. Pilots don't have to be riverboat captains first. Lawyers don't have to be cops first.

Now, out of all of those professions, which one sucks the worst? That's right. EMS sucks! It isn't a profession at all. It's just a disjointed association of different training levels that nobody respects as a profession, gets dumped on by all, and not paid worth a crap. Hmmm... could that be because we still haven't figured out how to even get our basic educational structure right yet? And if breaking education up in to bite sized morsels was such a great idea, don't you think all of the real professions out there would be doing it too?

And tell me, how often do you hear a competent guidance counselor say that going and playing around for a few years between high school and college is a good idea? Uhhh... make that NEVER! Financial concerns notwithstanding, they will all tell you that the best thing you can possibly do is to go straight from high school to college while your head is still in the educational game. That is proven fact. And the same thing applies to EMS. Once you get into the educational process, you need to -- if at all possible -- stay with it. Rid is right. Just like going back to college as an adult is extremely hard, so is going back to medic school after a few years. Listen to all the basics out there whining about how they can't go to school because of their work schedule. Well duh! And then when they do get back to medic school, the school has to spend a good third of their time re-teaching them all the stuff they forgot from EMT school. Not to mention all the time spent breaking bad habits they picked up from their lazy assed partners over the last few years. Never encountered a straight-through medic with those problems. No bad habits to break. No attitudes about all the "experience" they supposedly have. And I have the confidence in them that is earned by setting your sights on a goal, sticking with it, and getting it done without getting distracted by immaturity.

Make up your mind here and now. If you want to be a paramedic, dial that destination into your autopilot and lock it in. Don't stop until you get there. But if you just want to be an ambulance driver and play with the siren, well fly on out to California and they'll give you a basic patch in fourteen days.

[/font:5f2205d181]

I'm incline to agree with bandaidpatrol. It has been my experience over the past 40 adult years it is as important to know where you are going, as it is what you are doing. I can remember responding to calls in a hearse with a revolving redlight on roof. I don't think enough can be said about experience in patient skills, assessment, and working as a team player with a partner. A good medic is a result of a competant EMT, which comes with time and experience. This opinion comes from an old cop,ff,emt.

mako77 :)

I halfway agree with you, mako. Experience is the ultimate factor on whether or not you ever become a good medic. But there is nothing gained by getting that experience right after basic school, when you have only half of the picture, as opposed to getting it after you have completed your formal education. No benefit. None. But plenty of potential negatives.

Yep... medics need a tonne of experience to become proficient. But ideally, you should become a medic first before you start corrupting the educational process with experience.

If you want to be a paramedic, dial that destination into your autopilot and lock it in. Don't stop until you get there. But if you just want to be an ambulance driver and play with the siren, well fly on out to California and they'll give you a basic patch in fourteen days.

:wink: That's funny stuff, right there...

I say...if you feel you are ready for it...then go for it. Don't look back. Look at Jenni....she's kicking butt and taking names....*8 is SO proud of her surrogate EMS daughter* lmao.

Get in school and get it over with....then enjoy. It's a hell of a job....wouldn't trade it for the world.

xoxo

luv, 8

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.