Big Bucks for Basics

FireResq617

i get paid at Warrington $5 for 3 hours of volunteer...given i havent been there in a while thats what it was the last i was there... warminster i refuse to run with for personal reasons i would like not to get into..

1. If you get a check for your time served, guess what? Your career! Your just willing to do it for well below minimum wage.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The agency I work for pays EMT-B's starting wage of $13.38/hr for 24 hr shifts. With the built in OT that is roughly 45k/per yr.

We also get a full benefits package including 100% paid health insurance, Vision, Dental, FRS (State of Florida Retirement System), short-term and long-term disability. We get paid vacation, sick days as well as 11 paid holidays.

For example last year as a career EMT I made 53k last year working for our service. I busted my butt being the OT whore but the money was awsome. :lol: Medics start at 14.76/hr for 24 hr shifts. Which roughly comes to 48k per yr starting. They also enjoy the same benefits package.

We also belong to the local IAFF 1826 Professional FireFighters and Paramedics. We renegotiate a new contract with the county every 3 years.

EMT's max out at 62k/per yr

Medic's max out at 72k/per yr

• 2 months later...

Well, you worried me for a moment there. Just long enough to recalculate the numbers. I stand by my figures.

$9.50 x 24 hours = $228.00

$228.00 x 10 shifts per month = $2280.00

$2280.00 per month x 12 months = $27,360.00 per year before overtime or benefits.

$8 x 24 hours=$192

$192 x 10 shifts=$1920

$1920 x 52 = $23,040

Of course there is some OT

Minimum wage is $7.25 now I believe.

Wooot. How am I supposed to save up $8,500 for medic school again?

As a fresh basic, I get $8.50 an hour. And I work three 24 hour shifts a week. No vacation time for the first year. But we do get time and a half overtime for work weeks over 40 hours.

So...

$8.50 X 40 hours + $12.75 X 32 overtime hours = $748 a week

$748 X 4 = $2,992 a month

$2,992 X 12 = $35,904

A ton of work, but not a bad paycheck.

depending on your location where i am... wages will vary from $7.25 to upwards up $11.25 (not counting shift differential or experience pay)

a few places will pay you even more if you have experience. i know of places where the emt-b will make more than their emt-p partner. it's not really fair if you ask me... but who am i to complain:)

EMS Professionals need to rise up and demand decent pay. As stated before west Texas has some of the lowest cost of living in the USA. Basics at the lowest I have found in my area start at $9 hour. Many services now start basics at $14 hour, Intermediates at $16 hour and Paramedics at $18 hour. These are not high volume services but almost all have thousands of square miles of coverage. Lot's of time with each patient. Those of you in citys really need to push for better pay. I notice the opposite is true in other healthcare professions. An RN in my area may make half what they would get in a big city say like Houston.

As a fresh basic, I get $8.50 an hour. And I work three 24 hour shifts a week. No vacation time for the first year. But we do get time and a half overtime for work weeks over 40 hours.

So...

$8.50 X 40 hours + $12.75 X 32 overtime hours = $748 a week

$748 X 4 = $2,992 a month

$2,992 X 12 = $35,904

A ton of work, but not a bad paycheck.

Remember, what you're seeing is GROSS wages....or your 'before taxes' wages. Depending on your filing status, you'll find your NET wages ('take home pay') less satisfying.

Remember, what you're seeing is GROSS wages....or your 'before taxes' wages. Depending on your filing status, you'll find your NET wages ('take home pay') less satisfying.

I'd rather look at it as "I made just under 36 grand this year" over "I made 5 grand this year".

As a construction site EMT-B I also handle the workman’s comp claims, set up return visits to dr. I insure the company is in compliance with OSHA 1910 and 1926 standards and in compliance with there own policies. I tend to do more paper work and documentation than I do medical, but with that said that is a good thing since the training that I provide these new employees when they hire in shows there listening. So in this business if I’m working as an EMT then someone messed up and got hurt. Avoiding OSHA recordable is my objective, and most big company’s pay big for that. $22.50 hr.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.