Big Bucks for Basics

FireResq617

Hello City,

As an operations manager, I have been giving alot of thought to the average starting pay for Basic's. I recently have been given the responsiblity of recruiting EMT-B's and just trying to get an idea on if our starting pay is competitive. Currently, we start basic's at $9.50/hr that includes benefits. It is my understanding that there are many services that do not offer benefits. What do you all think....excellent, average, bad.... are we being competitive?

PLEASE HELP!

NREMT-P/FFII

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all relative to where you live, but starting EMT's here in the Hartford, CT area start somewhere around $14/hour and medics around $18/hr. I believe EMT pay tops out somewhere in the $16/hour range at the service I work for and medics top out somewhere around $22/hour.

The area you live in is one of the major deciding factors due to cost of living.

Shane

NREMT-P

That is a little high for fresh basics... most places in Oklahoma makes no differential from basics and intermediates... usually, promotion is within time ... etc.. I know of some flight Paramedics making a little more than that. Of course that depends .. are you paying for 24 hr shift plus guaranteed O.T. on top or 16 hr shift with O.T. on call, salaried contract ?.. etc.. .. again, dependent on how the service pays.

Personally , I look hours and average yearly salary when I apply. There are way too many variables, quoting an hourly salary.

There are very few that I know of that does not offer some type of benefit package for the medics, although they definitely are desirable. We just did a search and I believe we pay one of the highest if not the highest in the state. We are reviewing our benefit package as well.

We have set up a committee to review benefits in comparison of other EMS in Oklahoma, and found a few diversity. We also found the better benefits was of course located in the Fire Service areas. Hopefully. we will improve ours. Our board has definitely taken notice of the shortage of Paramedics and pay.. and we recently received an across the board raise.. as well they recognize the need for retention as well.. hence better benefits.

I don't what region you are from, but do some networking with Oklahoma Ambulance Operators Association.. they have a web site. But be careful, if they are competition...

Good luck,

R/R 911

Looks like us Okies need to move to CT.... thanks for all the responses, another concern is only running 12hr shift (rotating each week) this only allows 8hrs of OT in one pay period. Most services in this area can make up for that with 24hr shift because of the OT pay. Comes out pretty equal despite high hourly rate.

Nine-fifty an hour is $228/day. Nearly $28k/year. It's on par with the DFW area pay, and a damn sight more than what an EMT-B is worth. Especially with bennies.

Out of curiosity, what type of service are they providing? Since this is the "off the road" forum, I assume they are doing some type of clinical work?

I'm still trying to get a job in the field. I'd be in heaven at 9.50/hr. The 2 services here pay CRAP $6.75/hr. The very sad thing is this. The service here owns EMSA in Tulsa and OK City. The governing group for that company is called Paramedics Plus. It's sad that right now I work on cars all day long in a fast lube and make more than an EMT-B who within reason has a part in life or death actions for patients. (whether it be driving rig or cpr or whatever.) I'd have to take 3.50/hr paycut to start here.

I'm still trying to get a job in the field. I'd be in heaven at 9.50/hr. The 2 services here pay CRAP $6.75/hr. The very sad thing is this. The service here owns EMSA in Tulsa and OK City. The governing group for that company is called Paramedics Plus. It's sad that right now I work on cars all day long in a fast lube and make more than an EMT-B who within reason has a part in life or death actions for patients. (whether it be driving rig or cpr or whatever.) I'd have to take 3.50/hr paycut to start here.

Well technically Paramedics Plus is the private contractor for EMSA. EMSA is just a trust fund/admin board set up by the city governments'. Anyways, $9.50 seems on par for Tulsa. If a remember correctly EMSA/Paramedics Plus starts out around $9-$12/hr for basics, depending on experience, not too sure about transfer services. I'm curious what type of position this is too, if you're able please fill us in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.