Big Bucks for Basics

FireResq617

It is for Bucks County at a job not on the street....yes.

yea its in Bucks i work with Briguy222 at The retirement home of Ann's Choice... it pays quite well... but most emt's round here are volunteer if im correct... very few are paid

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea its in Bucks i work with Briguy222 at The retirement home of Ann's Choice... it pays quite well... but most emt's round here are volunteer if im correct... very few are paid

The opposite actually. Most are paid. The only service in your area with enough volunteers to be primarily that is Plumbsteadville EMS. www.medic124.org "Shout out to DCmed124"

The scale is a bit lower in Bucks as opposed to anywhere else. Lower volume produces that. I'd be ok with 10 an hour if I might have to do a call, intead of my current situation that guarantees me 5 or more.

XoX

PRPG

Nine-fifty an hour is $228/day. Nearly $28k/year. It's on par with the DFW area pay, and a damn sight more than what an EMT-B is worth. Especially with bennies.

Can you elaborate on that a bit. How do you justify what one should make and not make? Shouldnt that person be able to support his family?

I hear on this board about pushing EMS into the next century. But you are willing to leave that person at 9.50 hr behind? Im glad you not my union rep.

I work two 24's a week, 8 shifts a month. My rate is in the 16hr area, but I also have 8 hours of built in overtime.

So thats $416.00 a 24 w/full bennies. Its livable.

We should be pushing for higher income for all, not stating that one is over paid at $228 a day.

I would and have voted against contracts that do not benefit the field as a whole. Each level getting there just compensation.

Nine-fifty an hour is $228/day. Nearly $28k/year. It's on par with the DFW area pay, and a damn sight more than what an EMT-B is worth. Especially with bennies.

Can you elaborate on that a bit. How do you justify what one should make and not make? Shouldnt that person be able to support his family?

I hear on this board about pushing EMS into the next century. But you are willing to leave that person at 9.50 hr? Im glad you not my union rep.

I work two 24's a week, 8 shifts a month. My rate is in the 16hr area, but I also have 8 hours of built in overtime.

So thats $416.00 a 24 w/full bennies. Its livable.

We should be pushing for higher income for all, not stating that one is over paid at $228 a day.

That was a Dust phrase Whit. His statements basically mean that basics arent quite worth that, considering their length of education, and usual incompetence.

Hes right. Money comes with education, in all job fields. Ill let Dust weigh in for more.

i dont understand that because Warminster is not paid emts.. they are all volunteer, the only paid volunteer i know of is Warrington which is $5 for 3 hours sooo yea do clarify maybe im missing something

Warminster is almost ALL career, Warrington is almost all career EMT's. Volunteers suppliment, and no, the volunteer EMT's are not paid. The paid ones are.

Yeah I meant to state that Dust said that.

In one of the hospitals in my area. You know who the strongest core of employees are Enviormental services(housekeeping). The nurses are treated like crap. They threaten to walk out, Pickett, call in sick, no one takes them seriously. they drag out their contract negotiations. They cant even get vacation time.

However when there are rumblings in Enviormental services, upper management listens to what the have to say. Why? Unification, There is no thought that one is better then the other, no ones benefits individually, its as a whole or nothing. This field encompasses housekeeping, engineering and maintenance. You dont however here publicly one deserves more then the other. They present a united front. One walks they all walk, end of story. Their education spans from masters degrees to no formal education. Sure some deserve more then others but they know if they except that it only weakens the unit as a whole. which means no power.

Some places in our field I am sure if they offered the medics a 5.00hr raise and took two dollars away from the EMT, no one would care except the EMT. That's the difference. We allow them to get away with it, because we are not united as one, same goes for the Rn's. That's why they feel they can get away with it, and the RN'S because they know if we leave there will be someone standing behind them that will take the position. there is no unity. I have seen paramedics bash EM T's in the hospital in front of twenty people, and vice verse. Why should someone respect us when we don't respect each other?

Might not be the best comparison but you get the point. Unity is power, and power forces respect.

Warminster is almost ALL career, Warrington is almost all career EMT's. Volunteers suppliment, and no, the volunteer EMT's are not paid. The paid ones are.

i get paid at Warrington $5 for 3 hours of volunteer...given i havent been there in a while thats what it was the last i was there... warminster i refuse to run with for personal reasons i would like not to get into..

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I'm an ER Tech at a large teaching hospital in the Northeast. I'm quite sure that the base pay for new techs with no experience is somewhere around 12.50 an hour at my facility (maybe lower). That rate goes up if you work evenings (an extra $1.50/hr added to base rate), nights (extra $2.25/hr+base rate) or weekends (extra $1.25/hr on top of base rate + any other differential- ie nights/evenings). I can end up making just over $16/hour working nights and even more on weekend nights. It's sad when I see the starting rates for medics at some of the private services in my area- some as low as $14/hr for an area with a high cost of living. Wow, going through a medic program only to see some EMT-B/ER Tech making more money than you; that's really ironic.

• 5 months later...

Over here in the UK my salary as a Technician (EMT) is £29,000 a year plus overtime but this includes a 25% bonus for unsocial hours i.e. I get 25% extra for night shifts.

At the current exchange rate my salary would be $55,100 USD but the cost of living here is horrendous and our tax rate is 22% plus national insurance contributions at £12 a week. I usually clear about £1500 ($2850) a month after tax and NI deductions (which are witheld by the employer in the UK, any allowances have to be reclaimed as a refund at the end of the tax year.)

My rent for a one bedroom flat (apartment) is £480 ($912) a month plus council tax at £90 ($171) a month then water rates, gas, electricity, car insurance etc

I work 3 shifts a week at 12 hours each shift usually 12 on 12 off and I do private EMT work on my days off to make ends meet.

Paramedics in my service start on about £40,000 ($76,000) and Paramedic team leaders start on £50,000 ($95,000) although they are heavily penalised and pay 40% tax on most of their earnings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.