why can't we give water?

Para-Medic

I don't really know so much about medicine but what you could give a person in liquid could be measured and noted. I mean ANY liquid inserted into the body would be urinated (including salene by IV) sooner or later, right? Plus, I would doubt that someone wouldn't be able to hold their bowls (I pray they do) during a transport (which really aren't long).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original message inserts itself if you click on the "Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button. Then you just highlight and delete the parts of the original message that aren't relevant.

Thanks Dust

Yeah, I did more Foleys and NG's than ET's when I worked rural. Routine procedures. Pretty much anybody you knew was going to OR or ICU got both. Especially CHF'ers and flyable trauma. Regardless, half a bottle of water isn't going to make a difference on I/O's or even a surgical candidate. Withholding water isn't much more defensible than withholding oxygen, if you ask me. I say talk to your medical director about it. Never be afraid to challenge the sacred cows. Maybe we can finally bring this issue into the 21st century.

Rid,

Your explanation is the one that has always been given to me, and that I in return give to my students. I also bring up that it may assist in protecting the airway in certain patients.

Personally i will be happy to never have to do a foley. Not ont he folks around here anyway. Leave that to the hospital.

Ummmm....kidding....of course... :roll:

I'm not touchin that.... :shock:

LMAO

• 2 weeks later...

Out here we have given ice cubes to our patients. As long as they could maintain their own airway at the time it was offered. Of course there were times when we were transferring patients for treatments then return or if they went in with a chance of getting surgery then of course they wouldnt get anything.

well here's my 2 cents

Give em water if they can protect their airway. Give em water if they are not going to the OR or on a fluid restriction

My first foley placement was on a 78 year old man with a penile implant - wierd

I've placed more foleys that I can remember and count.

Straight cath em if you can.

Foley placement is easy on a guy, ONE hole. Just getting over the male touching male thing that was the hardest thing for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.