why can't we give water?

Para-Medic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh... it's one of those silly things that just always has been, without any real scientific validation or anybody challenging it.

The valid reasons for keeping patients NPO include:

• 1. Keeping the stomach empty to lessen the risk of aspiration.

2. Keeping the airway dry in case we need to intubate.

3. To restrict fluid intake in those patients whose condition calls for it.

4. Because too many retards wearing EMT patches don't have the sense to know when a patient can and cannot protect his own airway.

• That's about it. That leaves about three-quarters of our emergent patients who could safely have fluid intake. But, rather than educate our providers to a sufficient level to make such a determination in the field, we simply say no.

well, I really wouldn't bother giving someone water to drink who is havings some sort of airway problem or pretty much like you stated a compromised airways. I mean, those patients that really don't have an exact "emergency" and are having a sad or intense moment. Usually these patients get that dry itchy throat. These are the ones who ask for water the most. So why not give them some?

I agree. But only if the attending medic has both the education and common sense necessary to make that determination. Currently, very few do. It would require an entire new addition to the curriculum. And when considering additions to the curriculum, apparently this one has never come up. Or else somebody found it too insignificant to consider.

You have to remember, there are forces out there who fight every addition to the curriculum tooth and nail because they don't want their firefighters spending so long in school. Something has got to be pretty critically significant before it gets in.

(Dustdevil

You have to remember, there are forces out there who fight every addition to the curriculum tooth and nail because they don't want their firefighters spending so long in school)

You are just kidding...right?

(I don't see how to insert the original mssg.....trying to find it now..)

You are just kidding...right?

I wish I were. :?

The original message inserts itself if you click on the "Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button. Then you just highlight and delete the parts of the original message that aren't relevant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.