Bariatric Transports

akeith106

At my service, we "Specialize" in bariatric patient transports.

I was just wondering if anyone else does this and how they deal with it. We have had quiet a few back injuries. I have had two lumbar strains myself, and I am trying to figure out how to prevent this in the future.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proper lifting is your key. also go to the gym try and get in better shape and stronger. work the legs... lol also talk to a trainer and see if he offers a class for emt's anf proper lifting and strangth training. out here there is a trainer who used to be an EMT so hes a great help

If your unit specializes in bariatric transport, dont you have a lift??? Kinda like a wheelchair lift, only it is made for the gurney. If this idea hasnt been thought of yet, then I'd like to put that idea on the back of an ambulance. You are risking your career trying to lift bariatrics all day. You can easily blow out your back, plus I am sure OSHA probably has some say on this. But do go to the gym and workout for your body and carerr's sake.

-Dixie

Specialty Bariatric transport units are great. I have never had the privilege to work on one or see one in person, but have read about them in JEMS and wish our service would think about converting an old unit into one. As many of us know, our Pt's are getting bigger and bigger, and it seems we are getting more out of shape and smaller by the day, well at least I am getting out of shape anyway. We still have to use the ole, call the fire dept for lifting assist technique here. Which is rarely done because it makes us look bad... according to my partner. I see the day where most services will probably have Bariatric Transport Units, due to the increase in pt weight nationally, but until then... I hope our backs hold out.

Dan

Does your EMS agency have the budget for an ambulance with either a lift, or portable ramps with a winch under the "Captain's Chair"? Don't forget maintenance for this stuff, after purchase.

I have never seen a specialty Bariatric Unit, so if someone has pic of one, would you care to post or send me one via PM or email? my email is anabolic_frolic02@hotmail.com. If you are sending it to me please put EMT City Bariatric Unit in the subject line.

-Dixie

Is bariatric transport just a nice way of saying "The fat man car"? Because when I do a search for it on line I keep finding things that say, "Up to 1000 lbs."

We do not have any specialized bariatric 911 transport units in my area, but I can say that I definitely utilize the local firefighters and police to help lift when there's a heavier patient. It's really sad that we have to specially equip ambulances for this type of patient, it just shows how much our society is changing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.