EMT med. terminology - Help!

PCTtiff

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the most common complaints. As you can see, EMT school doesn't hardly prepare you for any of that.

LMAO...Dust...what ARE we going to do with you?... :wink:

xoxo

Does anyone else find it annoying when someone fills in the abbreviations and then like 3 other people follow with the exact same post? I mean what are you trying to do, go "I knew it too!!!"

Jeez.

Anyway, BGL stands for Blood Gas Laboratories, the national center for the measuring of blood gases. Every phlebotomist practicing within the United States (except for Tennesee and Kentucky) must be certified through the BGL.

The most common usage I've seen for bgl over the years has been for blood glucose. I know about blood gas labs because in a couple of departments where I worked, the RTs did the ABG's and we had to qualify and keep to standard.

However, it's not really accurate to say there's only one and true definition behind an acronym. A quick Google brought up the following for BGL [this is by no means extensive - I stopped checking after 55 hits]:

site one

site two

site three

site four

site five

site six

For medical acronyms alone, we have:

Blood Glucose Level

Bartholin's Gland

Blood Garlic Level {Medical Physiology }

Blood Gas Laboratories

But, we also have:

Blue Grass Tours, Inc. (Blue Grass Lines)

Bulgarian Lev (former currency code; now BGN)

Budget and General Ledger

Bomb Laser Guided

BlueGene/L, {an IBM computer, currently the world's fastest}

Banque Générale du Luxembourg

Now, I'm not saying the ones from the last group are things we're likely to find in our everyday medical charting, but they are example of how versatile three little letters can be.

In the FWIW Dept: Often times there can be mx [multiple] deff [definitions] for a spec [specific] abbrv [abbreviation]. Some are common to a field and others more individual and some simply take on a life of their own.

I cite, for example:

DOE: We usually see it as 'dyspnic on exertion' but I've also seen 'died on elevator' after a somewhat traumatic but strange code where, in the middle of transporting the patient from the ER to CCU, the back two wheels of the bed fell off and dropped down the elevator shaft. The patient was non-revivable and pronounced on the elevator.

TLC: Depending on your medical perspective, this can be 'Tender Loving Care' or, if you're an RT, it's Total Lung Capacity'. But for those days when you really want to just chuck it all out the back door, it could mean 'Tough luck, Charlie'.

SOB: Obviously there are two minds as to the use of this abbreviation. However, if you combine them, [sOBx2], you now have not only a clinical observation but you can warn everyone who sees the patient after you that things might be a bit … fractious.

Than there are the variants:

DOA-SS: We're all aware of the use of DOA [Dead On Arrival], but this variant was created for the kind soul who drove his car to the hospital parking lot between the ER and the Funeral Home which shared the same parking area and proceeded to 'EOG' [Eat Own Gun].

Sometimes 'Necessity is the Mother of Invention'. And sometime She's simply a Mother.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I enjoy reading all of them and learned alot. When I need more answers I'll make sure to ask you guys on here!!

Oh, and I found a couple more: :wink:

P1, P2, P3?

ETOH?

SNF?

Dx? Diagnosis?

CXR?

LPM?

DNR? Do Not Resusitate

DNI?

DNH?

AMS?

MVA? Multiple Vehicle Accident?

COA?

HGT?

GCS?

PVCS? PVC's are Premature Ventricular Contractions, but I don't think it was meant that way...

ICP?

Also what does a Narcan IV do? Is that given in a drug overdose? What does it mean to be lavaged?

Thanks guys. Ya'll are great, thanks for your input and 'wisdom'! God Bless!

Tiff

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I enjoy reading all of them and learned alot. When I need more answers I'll make sure to ask you guys on here!!

P1, P2, P3? Priorities

ETOH? Ethanol Alcohol

SNF? Skilled Nursing Facility

Dx? Diagnosis?

CXR? Chest X-Ray

LPM? Liters Per Minute

DNR? Do Not Resusitate

DNI? Do Not Intubate

DNH? Do Not Hospitalize

AMS? Altered Mental Status

MVA? Multiple Vehicle Accident?

COA? Certificate of Authenticity :lol:

HGT? Human Genetic Test

GCS? Glascow Coma Scale

PVCS? PVC's are Premature Ventricular Contractions, but I don't think it was meant that way...

ICP? Inter Cranial Pressure

Also what does a Narcan IV do? Is that given in a drug overdose? What does it mean to be lavaged?

Narcan is an opioid antagonis, it is used for complete or partial reversal of opioid depression. Lavage essentially means to wash out, such as a gastric lavage, i.e. stomach pumping.