EMT med. terminology - Help!

PCTtiff

There is a very good programmed text that teaches med term, much like the Dubin book teaches EKG's. If nothing else, it would behoove any EMT or medic who has never had a formal class to buy that book and complete it on their own. But I know... far be it for the average EMT to accept that he doesn't already know everything he needs to know.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be the most creative one here with the most abbreviations. :) Get ready for

some great music. I've two scans and a few pictures to make it fun. Patti :)

http://www.voyagerliveaction.com/emsterms.html

Emergency Medical Abbreviations for EMS Run Reporting

c/o Emergency Theater Live

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some 'translations' to some of the abbreviations used in EMS writing. I know (and took) medical terminology, but EMS abbrevs bug me cause I can find them NO where!

Here's some of the ones I'm wondering about:

HTN - ?

Hx - History?

Fx - Injury?

Tx - Treatment?

Rx - meds?

R/O - ?

CVA - cerebrovascular accident (stroke)

HR - heart rate?

BGL - bilingual? blood glucose level?

There are more, but I can't remember them at the moment. If anyone could elaborate, or give me as many as they know, that'd be great! :)

Another question, what are some of the most seen injuries or medical problems in EMS? Each, I know, has their own opinion and I'd love to hear all of them!

Thanks alot!

God bless,

Tiff

I was lucky to learn that in EMT school. The instructor was constantly throwing PVC's (as well as a long list of other medical problems), and she had each of us check her pulse while watching the monitor so we could see and feel how it actually affected the pulse. It was a great experience. Too bad all EMT instructors don't have heart problems! :lol:

Kool: My instructor had ECT, well that was after class, does that count?

LOC "loss of consciousness"

F/C Funky Chicken

Czz Seize