EMT med. terminology - Help!

PCTtiff

P1, P2, P3? = Dispatch and transport priority codes. Priority 1 is immediate life threatening emergency. Priority 2 is potentially life threatening emergency. Priority 3 is a non-life threatening emergency. Uaually, P1 or P2 means with lights and sirens, and P3 means without lights and sirens, but with due haste.

ETOH? = alcoholic beverages

SNF? = Skilled Nursing Facility (nursing home)

Dx? Diagnosis?

CXR? = Chest X-ray

LPM? = Litres per minute of oxygen flow (also possibly confused with LMP = Last menstrual period)

DNR? Do Not Resusitate

MVA? = Motor Vehicle Accident. Not necessarily multiple.

HGT? = possibly HCT which is Hematocrit, a measure of the red blood cell percentage in the circulation.

GCS? = Glasgow Coma Score. A number between 3 and 15 that represents a rough assessment of a patient's mental status.

PVCS? PVC's are Premature Ventricular Contractions, but I don't think it was meant that way...

ICP? = Intracranial pressure. Like blood pressure, the pressure in the head goes up in response to certain injuries or illness. Not measured in the field, but it manifests itself through several observable signs the paramedic can see.

I would only be guessing on DNI, DNH, AMS, and COA. However, COA may actually be GOA, which means "gone on arrival," or the patient was not found at the scene.

Also what does a Narcan IV do? Is that given in a drug overdose? What does it mean to be lavaged?

Narcan is an antidote for opiate narcotics like morphine and heroin. Simplistically, it goes into the bloodstream and knocks the opiate off of the nerve cells they have bound to, stopping the effect of the drug they have taken.

Lavage is to wash out a body cavity, like the stomach. A tube is placed into the stomach through the nose or mouth, and a lot of water is flushed in and then vacuumed back out to remove all contents and toxins. Usually done for overdoses of pills.

EDIT: Damn you, Robert!! :lol:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abbreviations are OK to use sometimes, but you are better off from a legal point of view not to use them ....it reduces confusion when you write everything out long form... if you ever get called to court they will pick your PCR apart piece by piece ....in other words plain English is easily understood.

just my 2 cents

kymedic2007

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the answers. :) You guys never cease to amaze me, you're so cool! 8) LOL Don't let it go to your heads.

Dustdevil, thanks for elaborating on the abbrevs. I didn't really understand until you broke them down, then it all became clear! LOL :lol:

Bandaidpatrol, your knowledge (and speed) is impressive. :wink: Are you teaching anywhere now that you are retired? You should be. :)

Good points on the legal aspect. You just can't get away from that part of it, can you? No matter what you do, you gotta watch your back! Make, keep and maintain a good reputation and it'll speak louder than words!

God Bless!

In Jesus,

Tiffany

PVCS? PVC's are Premature Ventricular Contractions, but I don't think it was meant that way...

PVC's are more correctly Premature Ventricular Complexes. They become contractions when you feel a generated pulse by one that appears on the monitor. If you don't have a monitor, you won't feel the complex but will notice that the pause before the next beat is longer than you would anticipate. If you feel a pulse(a contraction) early you really can't say if it is atrial, junctional, or ventricular in origin.

Just semantics, but can be important.

I was lucky to learn that in EMT school. The instructor was constantly throwing PVC's (as well as a long list of other medical problems), and she had each of us check her pulse while watching the monitor so we could see and feel how it actually affected the pulse. It was a great experience. Too bad all EMT instructors don't have heart problems! :lol:

I was lucky enough to get to see and feel PVCs on a pt during my first hospital clinical rotation. It was by accident that I got to feel it though. I asked my preceptor how he found the pt's pedal pulse so quickly (the pt asked about circulation in his legs for some reason). My preceptor had me try to find it and I did. Short story even shorter, I got to feel the PVCs while watching the monitor count them, and of course seeing them on there. It was cool! It was really the only good thing at that whole clinical.

Use of abbreviations is actually recommended in many curriculums. You should find a long list of approved abbreviations at the end of your EMS text, be it ALS or BLS. Your local, or state EMS office probably has an even larger list for you to use. As far as legal documentation goes, if it is written, it was done. If it is written by the use of abbreviations, then you have the opportunity of making it longer. They can always refer to the master list to interpret what you are saying. Just make sure you are using them correctly.

What amazes me is so many EMT's that have never taken a formal medical terminology course. I took an 8 week course, during my basic EMT. I can tell of those who have not by mispronunciation of words, mis-spelling, and improper use.

I highly recommend such a course to anyone serious about their profession, and it definitely aids in anatomy & physiology.

Be safe,

R/R 911