Ambulance Driver, an evil term?

PRPGfirerescuetech

I think the term “ambulance driver†is derogatory in nature. I walked in to a local ER working at a private about 2 years ago to hear the nurse say “the ambulance drivers†are here. She then went on to tell me that the guy’s bed pan needed to be changed. Sorry honey, that's why you went to nursing school and I went to Paramedic school.

The term just plain sucks. The ambulance doesn't help anyone. The crew could show up in a pinto and help you out. The ambulance with two regular people (Non EMT, etc) won’t help you. I mitigate incidents. I solve problems occasionally. My ambulance couldn’t deliver a pizza without me, who’s more important?

Good terms…

The medics are here…

The paramedics are here…

Are you my daddy? (um…maybe not so good..)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I wuz never much for that larnin' I just tell ya just throw 'em in the back and stay outta mah way that's all I dun need to know them pointy headed doctors they don't know what's what anyhow

My company seems to be all right with the term (then again we have paperwork for billing, etc from when we openned in 1967), but I find it to just make you feel stupid, not only that.. if the term is used the dr. is more likely to be rude (I've found) than if we're "the ambulance". Maybe we stopped being people, but we're also not stupid people.

PP [/font:c06d75560a]

Wow...that was difficult to even read...

Unfortunately it was still at least two points up the literacy scale from some posts I've read that WEREN'T done for ironic emphasis.

Depending on the company you're with here is how you can tell what you need to drive. Joe Shmo could even drive without taking any courses but most services don't allow it. Around here it's usually two Emt's and they switch every call. Most of the time, the medics run in a seperate truck and either switch if they are a two person unit or leave their truck at the scene if its a single responder. So EMT and Ambulance driver are used interchangably here. :lol:

Depending on the company you're with here is how you can tell what you need to drive. Joe Shmo could even drive without taking any courses but most services don't allow it. So EMT and Ambulance driver are used interchangably here. :lol:

You're joking right???? :roll: :idea::!: Do they have the same training as well??!!!

No. Theres no state laws governing who can drive an emergency vehicle in Pennsylvania. Just the services and most require you to have first aid and cpr and hazmat operations and some form of Emergency Vehicle Driver Training. Also most companies have an age limit because of insurance reasons.

The term Ambulance Driver IMO IS an evil term. While it should be considered a privilege to drive an emergency vehicle, if any recognition should be given, it should be for the patient care that is performed, not the trip to the hospital!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.