Ambulance Driver, an evil term?

PRPGfirerescuetech

...if any recognition should be given, it should be for the patient care that is performed, not the trip to the hospital!

But the majority of transports made by the majority of EMTs are simple transportation without medical care.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact: MOST EMTs do not work in EMS.

Therefore, it is a fact that most EMTs are not providing patient care.

What is to dispute?

You seem sure of this. Please present evidence to support claim. I acknowledge your opinion that EMS is 911 only. Ok, show me some sort of numbers, statistical data to give weight to your opinion you've presented.

All I ask.

PRPG

I'm not going to go find the stats to prove the obvious. But most states have a statistical breakdown of the registered personnel in their state which clearly shows that the majority of registered EMTs do not actively work in the field. And then, as you note, only a fraction of those actively working actually work in 911 EMS.

Texas' stats were recently discussed at length on the Texas EMS discussion group, so I am acutely familiar with them. And similar statistics have long been discussed nationwide. With all the EMT's we keep cranking out, all the employers are still wondering where the heck they all are, because they are not working.

I don't think it matters where we work, or what exact care is preformed in transporting someone to the hospital. You wouldn't call the IT guy working on the computer out front in the customer service area a secretary, even if he was just answering questions and directing customers to specialized areas for help with their computer. You wouldn't call a champion ballerina "the dancer" if in Vegas.. So, why would you call a medical professional a driver?

PP[/font:564be08795]

I still cannot believe that this thread has continued on for four pages. WHO CARES what someone else calls you? You know what you do, and the impact that you have on the lives of others, and that is all that matters. Plus, at the end of the day, whether I am a medic or an "ambulance driver", I still take home the same paycheck.

20 years ago, my EMS Academy instructors referred to us as "Technician," as in "Technician B, what is the answer to question 5?"

Unless you're a rude person, I don't think you'd refer to a Doctor as "Mac", unless that was his/her name.

I still cannot believe that this thread has continued on for four pages. WHO CARES what someone else calls you? You know what you do, and the impact that you have on the lives of others, and that is all that matters. Plus, at the end of the day, whether I am a medic or an "ambulance driver", I still take home the same paycheck.

You do this for the pay?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.