Public Relations, you're doing it wrong

ERDoc

Regardless of personal feelings about video/photos on scene the Chief acted extremely unprofessional and by touching the camera was legally in the wrong. If I was in charge he would not have a job, regardless of what happened before the clip started.

I would politely ask that the person filming to stop and respect the patient's privacy but if they choose to continue then that is their right. I will do everything reasonable to block their view and cover my patient but never yell, curse, or physically touch them.

I personally would never film anything like this but if I was and you came up and touched my camera/phone I would not hesitate to lay you out. Regardless of how tasteless it may be it is still within the citizens rights to do so.

Being a patient advocate (I hate when that concept is thrown around loosely because the majority of people have no clue what that truly means) does not give you permission to infringe on others rights.

I'd get a couple of helpful bystanders to hold up a magic ambo drawer sheet if it was something that was going to be quite undignified for the patient, for example cardiac arrest resuscitation or where we need to significantly disrobe the patient or something

Those drawer sheets are magic for things like that

Edited by Kiwiology

I would do nothing to help the videographer and I would do nothing to hinder. I would do my job regarding patient care. If the videographer does something to interfere with my patient care, then I will take action. Simply put, if they aren't a part of my scene they aren't worth my attention and they aren't my responsibility. I would dignify my patient to the best of my ability, just as I would if the guy watching us didn't have a camera, but I'm not going to let a camera get me bent outta shape. It's the 21st century folks, 9 out of 10 people on the street have a video camera and 9 out of 10 buildings have video surveillance. We can't account for all the cameras.

• Like 2

At some point we (EMS) need to learn to embrace the media and use it to advance our profession.

The guy should have taken 30 seconds to make a brief statement to distract the cameraman if he was so concerned. There were plenty of people taking care of the patient.

"We responded to this scene and found a male with injuries. Paramedics will begin treatment as we transport him to hospital. I have nothing further at this time."

This authoritive type of "get outta my way" attitude is played out.

He didn't smack the camera, he didn't break the camera. Misleading titles is a pet peeve of mine. I think someone was just upset that the chief pushed his camera away to protect the patients dignity. In all honesty the guy didn't need to be filming all of that.

I wouldn't even ask them to stop; it is a public place and the patient has given implied consent to be filmed until they communicate otherwise.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP..........

With that line of thinking, if there was an unconscious or very drunk young lady laying on the grass in a public park....I could strip her naked and lick her nipples.....becuse it is implied consent until she says otherwise..........isnt that why we are against date rape..........the consent cannot be give because the compentency or capicity of the person is in question....

whats the different for an injured/ unconscious person that is on a public street?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.