MCI STUFF!

We are in the process of getting a new MCI/Rehab unit. Just looking to see what is recommended for stocking the unit. We want the capability to support up to 50 people.

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Thanks

Get with your local big departments who have done it, take a tour learn from their mistakes and successes. The last one I did was right after 9/11 and there was little info on the web on such things, I imagine it has changed. Check out FEMA information and see if your state version has suggestions. Look to see if there is any more grant money, if you already have grant money, make sure there are not stipulations and strings of what you must buy.

Then do a complete threat assessment of disasters that have actually happened in your area, or what has happened the most and make sure you cover that. Everyone is worried about a dirty bomb or nuclear device, but you are probably way more likely to have a weather, transportation, or industrial incident. I would also recommend that you buy as big as you can, as you will be stuck with this thing for probably another 20 years, so it has to be able to meet your communities needs in the future (unless that takes away from buying necessary gear). Look at your fire stations and schools that were built 20 years ago, have they kept up ?

Finally for the trailor itself: Make sure you have something that can tow that weight, it would be nice to have exterior electrical plugs, exterior lighting, an office area in the nose with desk, cabinets, dryerase boards, pencils, pens, paper, a laptop with wireless internet connection (so you can function indoors if needed for weather), a generator or two.

My favorite new toy, Rehab wise, is the KoreKooler Chair. I'd recommend one for every 10 firefighters, if that's what you're serving. We have two on hand, with several camp type chairs. Crew Boss makes a nice Rehab trailer, kinda pricey. I developed a rehab program a couple years before one was required. I'd say the only item I want, but couldn't get, was a Rad57 CO Pulse Oximeter.

Don't waste money on fans that blow water, it just pisses people off. A case of the typical towels available for ambo use in ER's are good, just long hand towels.

And a couple army cots, b/c sometimes people just have to lay down, and it keeps them away from things that crawl on the ground.

just remember that 90% of the supplies you stock in the unit will have expiration dates on them. They will expire before you use them the majority of the time.

The initial purchase price is high on equipping these kind of units. Keeping them full of unexpired supplies is even more expensive. & time consuming for someone to keep track of.

There were a bunch of these type units funded by homeland security funding after 9-11 and Katrina. I'd wager a guess that the majority of them are filled with expired medical supplies and even more expired emergency food rations.

I know the one in our region is parked at a hospital back lot and has several dry rotted tires and probably hasn't been opened in years.

All the good intentions aside, the possibility of having a major MCI In your district is as distinct as your house being hit by a tornado.

So put that into perspective when you decide to put this into effect.

If you are going to put together a MCI trailer or Whatever you deem you need make sure you have a spreadsheet or form that lists out each item you put in it and it's expiration date. Then you need to have someone in charge of that form/spreadsheet. The next time you look at that spreadsheet is at least 2 months if not three months before the first item that is on the list expires. If there are medications then those meds need to be looked at 6 months prior to expirations especially if they are on the national shortage lists such as zofran to name just one.

Any food stuff should actually be on it's own trailer in my opinion. A spoiled foodstuff renders medical equipment spoiled until checked by biomed or a qualified medical person. Would you want to put medical equipment that had been exposed to spoiled foodstuff's on a patient? I think not.

The medical college of Virginia has a incredible MCI setup that I have a Powerpoint on but it's a huge file that I can't save on this site because of size restrictions that the city has. But it is a incredible setup. I might talk to admin about it.

I'll see if I can get the checkout lists for both one of the FDNY EMS MIRVs (Major Incident Response Vehicles), and/or one of the FDNY EMS Division Logistics Support trucks, and reproduce it or them here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.