Should Women Be Allowed In The Augusta GA Country Club

mikeymedic1984

My question is this. Who is the Augusta Golf clubs policy hurting? Is it specifically causing harm to women? Is it causing harm to men? Just who is it causing harm to?

I can't see it causing harm to anyone other than those who think it is unfair.

IT seems that every time someone makes a stink about making things fair in this society, that things just go to hell in a hand basket for those that they are trying to make it fair for.

I would like to know, just WHO is this golf clubs policy of only admitting men by invitiation only hurting?

You know what's funny? I've been in all sorts of bars in all sorts of different areas. The only time I was turned away was outside a nightclub, when I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to someone who was celebrating inside. I was offered the choice of getting a $500.00 bottle service or politely being on my way. I responded by suggesting the bouncer perform an anatomically impossible act.

I've never felt uncomfortable or been made to feel I need to leave in a bar with a mixed clientèle or one where I was the visible minority, and I'm talking bars where you have to go through a metal detector and are patted down before entry. Maybe because I was always with someone who they knew.

The only time I felt really, uncomfortably out of place was at a bar in the outskirts of New Jersey, in that area that is more West Virginia then Union County. It was a place where there were Harley Davidsons outside, and tow trucks with Harley Davidson logos on them outside, and everything else was pickup trucks. To make matters worse, I had just come from a clincial in New York City, so I had my dapper looking peacoat, leather gloves, and a nice Calvin Klein tie on. Everyone else had a cowboy hat on. Again, this was to say hello to someone I knew. When I walked in, if it was a movie, the music would have stopped and someone would have dropped a plate of dishes. I had one beer and then politely got the heck out of Dodge. The moral of this story is the only time I really felt like I needed to leave a bar was one that was full of other white people. Go figure.

Who is it hurting ? Probably only female CEOs who could afford to join if they wanted to, as there are other places they could go join, and they can play golf there on the course, they just cannot be an official member, so it just would not be as prestigious for them. But if women do not want to join or have not tried, why would you need the "rule" ? Much like asys says, we tend to congregate where we want to with our own kind, so I am not sure that if they opened it up to women that they would get 1000s of applications.

My thought is that the applications would only increase by a couple but this is by invitation only so even it they opened it up to women by invitation only that there will be a very finite number of invitations going out to only a select few, like maybe 15-20 people that they might want. I mean there are only a small amount of female CEO's out there anyway that are of any note anyway. How many woman CEO's can you name off the top of your head that are in the fortune 500? I only know of a one and that's the IBM CEO.

Now name any of the Black woman CEO and that number goes down exponentially. How bout Hispanic woman CEO's??? See how those numbers would drop even lower when you get to minorities

Not to make this racial but the numbers don't lie..

The amount of White CEO's who get invites outnumber the minority CEO's by a significant number so we shouldn't be surprised that this disparity is there.

What about this question - Would it be an affront to the CEO of IBM if her husband was offered the membership????

It really is simple. Augusta National Golf Club is a private club. As such, they are free to invite potential members they choose. They should not be forced to include women if they choose not to. Call it the "Good Ol' Boys" club if you want, but it is their perogative. In England, they have the Gentlemen's Club. Not the same Gentlemen's clubs we have here, but a place where one can get a very good cigar, a very expensive scotch and discuss the days events. Oh, and there are no women members. Nobody complains because it is what it is, a Gentlemen's Club..

Edited by JakeEMTP

What about this question - Would it be an affront to the CEO of IBM if her husband was offered the membership????

Offering is not, but if the husband accepted, he might be looking for divorce lawyers. Or the CEO couldn't care less and lets him play. It depends on how she feels.

You know I go to this salon that only admits Men. I spend quite a bit for a hair cut and massage. I also have a membership in their men's club there. They do not allow women to join the men's club. I have my own bottle of scotch there and I spend about two to three hours a week there. It's my own ME time. With my membership I get a one hour massage and get to chat with other men who are pretty high up in society, one of them that I spoke with the other day was a city council member of a medium sized city in the KC MO area.

I could probably spend that money elsewhere on something else but I spend that on myself.

Women are not allowed in this particular salon but they are employed there. NO men are employed there except for the manager and the owner.

Edited by Captain Kickass