Should Women Be Allowed In The Augusta GA Country Club

mikeymedic1984

I suck at golf, can't even do putt-putt well, but since it is time for the championship this weekend in Augusta, the annual arguement has surfaced again. For those not familiar, the Augusta country club where the masters is played is a PRIVATE club, where members are selected by invitation only. Women are not allowed to be members, although they are allowed to play the golf course. Obama thinks this age old tradtion should die:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/obama-thinks-augusta-golf-club-allow-women-white-173653725--golf.html

What say the women (and men) of EMS:

Do you say it is a private club, therefore they can pick and choose anyone they want as a member ?

Or do you say discrimination against anyone in this day and age is wrong ?

It is a PRIVATE club...sorry that still means the owner sets the rules. If there were any public monies associated with this, any tax breaks, subsidies...then absolutely it is wrong. Until then...the members in good standing choose to maintain the archaic tradition and that is their right. It would seem that over time, societal pressure would make it more shameful to be a member of a place with rules as such, but since it hasn't, then that is indicative of not only the club but the attitude of the general surrounding populace.

Okay I'll speak up, and probably get slammed in the end. If I as a woman can play at the club but cant be a member I dont care. Its like alot things in life, its because I can't have it, is what makes me want it.

I am not catholic but I have my favorite Irish friend is and every once in awhile I will participate in Lent only to support her, as I think she is the only one in town that does it. This year it was chocolate that we picked to not partake in. Now I dont particularily eat it everyday, and in reality its only once a month that I really crave it (other ladies will get that ;) but since IM NOT ALLOWED it, I have spent the last forty day or so, wanting it so bad that I would cut off my right arm for a little piece of it.

Thats my analogy of those types of things...........

PS I gave of alcohol one year and when my family found out about the chocolate they bought me wine :)

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect
Woman! Know your place
Uploaded 29 Oct 2011 - 10:28

As was said above, a private club is private, allowed to give or deny access to whoever they choose.

But if they accept a single dollar of govt money or or are allowed tax breaks then they need to be a public, non biased club...

As a woman I can say it doesn't bother me one bit. I am a member of a womens only gym. Same thing to an extent right?

If it is private then the members should be able to decide what they want, IMO.

Dwayne- Don't be a tease! ;-)

• Like 1

Private club, it's their right. I like to play miniature golf while highly intoxicated. But I've never been to a real golf course, despite having access by virtue of employment, to a large private club. They don't allow etoh on the course. Their loss.

How about clubs where women aren't even allowed to play? Burning Tree Club in Bethesda only allows women on its property by appointment and twice a year, spring social and in December to shop for their husbands at the pro-shop. Even a Supreme Court justice was turned away as you need a private invitation to join.

I grew up with that country club as part of my culture and so I suppose I'm used to it but I still don't agree with it... all boys clubs should be out of style by now.