Should Women Be Allowed In The Augusta GA Country Club

mikeymedic1984

The Ancient Order of Hibernians is a private organization, which runs a very public parade on NYC's 5th Avenue. I don't know if they pay for the NYPD and NYC Department of Sanitation overtime for security and post event cleanup, or if I am paying them through my taxes.

The AOH always makes the news from mid February through March 17, when they (again!) refuse to allow any openly Gay, Lesbian, Cross Dressing, or Transgendered groups to march in "their" parade, the New York City Saint Patrick's Day Parade. As I already said, a private organization, which runs a very public parade.

Disclosure: On St. Patrick's Day, I'm one of the "wannabe Irish", but in the one time I was in that parade, the EMS Chief in command of the contingent knew I had experience as a part of a colorguard, so I, a German-Polish-Russian 3rd Generation American Jew, formed a single person, second line of the colorguard, entrusted to carry the flag of Ireland.

• Like 1

A private entity has every right to exclude who it wants and I don't have a problem with that per-se however to exclude somebody just because of their sex is really no longer cool; just like if they excluded white people, black people, Catholics, people with gimpy legs or wandering eyes y'know?

Someone already mentioned about women-only health clubs, which is exactly the point. If this is a PRIVATE entity that takes no government money, then let them make their own rules.

Archaic and stupid to some, "tradition" to others. As for the club that doesn't even allow women on it's grounds except for special occasions? Well, that's more than a bit creepy to me, but again- their club, their rules. I would question any male who was a member there and has a wife and kids. What type of message does that send when he chooses to be a member of a group that is so against having women anywhere near them? Why so secretive? Why would a wife put up with such a thing?

If it is a private club taking no government money I fail to see the issue. There are still some women only places so why should it be "good" for us to have a women's only place but throw a fit when there is a men's only place?

Why do you have to be government funded to do the right thing ?

I'm not saying I agree with Augusta's policy, but..

Define "right thing".

Remember- this is a private club that gets to make their own rules.

If Augusta is "forced" to accept female members, then how can you justify the existence of things like female only health clubs, or organizations/clubs/groups restricted to a particular race, ethnicity, religion, etc?

Either it's right or it's wrong- you cannot have it both ways, split hairs, or make exceptions to justify deviations in how these things are handled.

Why do you have to be government funded to do the right thing ?

Why is what they are doing, the wrong thing? Just because it's not popular, doesn't make it wrong. This falls into the rhealm of some kid pounding their feet on the ground, pouting "It's not fair". Tough shit, I'd say to them.

When I go back to College, I'm going to insist on being in the all-women's dorm. Just because.