Should Women Be Allowed In The Augusta GA Country Club

mikeymedic1984

Why do I say it is the wrong thing ? Substitute any other category for "women" and then ask is it OK:

We do not allow blacks, jews, atheists, gays, small breasted women, red-heads, trekies (ok that one is OK)

If a private club wants to exclude any particular group, why aren't they allowed to do so (according to you)? It will turn off some potential members, but that is the private club's own choice. There's a man-only club where I live that is full of pretentious guys, but as such, it is their right to disallow women and just as there are men-only clubs, there are women-only clubs, Jewish-only clubs, black-only clubs, large-boob clubs, etc.

It's a tradition that women are not invited into the (private, non-government funded) club and they choose to uphold that. I fail to see why that's "wrong."

I think it says something about the values of the society in which the people who participate in such a venture live.

I think, I am not sure if you can extrapolate that

But you know what, I bet they dont allowz teh Kiwis :( ....

I am not sure we can understand, as white males, how others may feel about not being allowed. But so far, the women in the room seem to not have a problem with it, so I guess I should not be offended, but I still am. How would the inclusion of women destroy their precious club ? An all male club sounds gay to me. I wonder how many blacks, openly gay males, and foreigners are in the club ?

You make a good point Mike if the women do not mind then I guess maybe its not a big deal; I mean bloody hell I dno, I'm off to the clubhouse to get shitfaced and stuff my gullet while I get served by an openly gay black male foreigner waiter

Seems no one here really understands the historical significance of the word GOLF.

Gentlemen

Only

Ladies

Forbidden

I kid you not, that is what Golf means.

I pretty much agree with the majority here. When I can get a membership at Curves, or the NAACP, then Augusta should allow female members.

Edited by Arctickat

Why do I say it is the wrong thing ? Substitute any other category for "women" and then ask is it OK:

We do not allow blacks, jews, atheists, gays, small breasted women, red-heads, trekies (ok that one is OK)

But there ARE plenty of clubs that exclude people now, so why no outrage about them? They DO allow women in this club, just not as members. I find it amusing that the biggest outrage over this seems to be from self appointed defenders of everything- the liberals, but the group directly affected by this-women-most of them couldn't care less. (Not directed at you since I have no idea about your political/ideological affiliation- this is based on reactions I have seen and heard elsewhere.)

Seems no one here really understands the historical significance of the word GOLF.

Gentlemen

Only

Ladies

Forbidden

I kid you not, that is what Golf means.

I pretty much agree with the majority here. When I can get a membership at Curves, or the NAACP, then Augusta should allow female members.

I kid you not, you are wrong and that is an "old wive's tale" or urban legend as we call it these days....

Like most modern words, the word "golf" derives from older languages and dialects. In this case, the languages in question are medieval Dutch and old Scots.

The medieval Dutch word "kolf" or "kolve" meant "club." It is believed that word passed to the Scots, whose old Scots dialect transformed the word into "golve," "gowl" or "gouf."

By the 16th Century, the word "golf" had emerged.

Sources: British Golf Museum, USGA Library Sources: http://golf.about.com/cs/historyofgolf/a/hist_golfword.htm