Calls worthy of the Darwin Award

runswithneedles

I don't drink alcoholic beverages either.

I drink extremely rarely and only socially. I don't mind if people drink but it's not my thing, but then again I'm biased having seen enough drug abuse in my short life to last ten lifetimes.

Now, if Dwayne would get his ass down here from whatever leper colony he is hole up on in the South Pacific I would be glad to fire up the barbie and get a bottle of something smooth from the liquor mega store for him.

Knowing him he would end up unconscious on the grass and cause a scene or something.

Yeah, I have a theory that people are meant to get wasted, baked, fried, or whatever every now and then.

When I was training animals for a living I was given an article by an elephant trainer at a zoo. It explained that when elephants were first put in zoos that they were terribly expensive as you had to buy new ones all the time as they only lived a few years in captivity.

A naturalist noticed while studying them that elephants in the wild would eat cocoa (?) every day, once or twice, get a little buzz and go about their business. Once they started supplying these to zoo elephants they became able to keep them for decades instead.

Not encouraging drinking, just commenting that from an evolutionary point of view, particularly if you assume that humans have entered a world they were never really evolved for (yet), (instant everything, little to no 'down' time) then taking a chemical break makes sense.

In fact I've never done LSD, but it's on my bucket list as some of the most creative, successful men in history claim that they wouldn't have reached their potential without it....I have to peek through that window, right? I mean, who could resist that? Not me...

Post random drug screens of course... :-)

• Like 1

Excellent post Dwayne and I am inclined to agree with you somewhat. It has been well known that most civilisations in history have had some way of getting wasted or altering their conscious state.

Unfortunately a section of modern society manages to do it to excess and to their detriment.

It's interesting you want to get wasted on LSD, I've heard that's a pretty funky ride. Strap yourself in bro. No flash photography please. Be sure to exit through the gift shop.

Edited by kiwimedic

I just finished reading the Steve Jobs book, and he makes that claim, as did Carl Sagan, though he includes pot as well...Also, there were some really interesting studies in the 60's that claimed pretty significant mental benefits as well...

Just curious. It's not like it can do any real damage to either of my remaining brain cells...

I don't drink alcoholic beverages either.

That statement seems strangely, carefully specific... :mellow:

You know I think he is serious

I will be sure to have some apple juice or something at our BBQ for ch, he can make sure you dont choke on your own vomit after you become unconscious from alcohol poisoning; I'll probably be too busy distracting the cops or liquor warden or something y'know

Edited by kiwimedic

Haven't had too many darwin award candidates or winners but a couple memorable ones:

- 26 y/o M, emotionally upset, HBD. Called 911 for crisis, while on the phone took approximately 9 grams (not mg) of acetaminophen. When I informed him he had to go to the hospital because he'd had a toxic, potentially life threatening dose, he groaned and said "really?! Bummer." Nice enough guy otherwise who'd just let a really bad day get away from him.

- 60 y/o M, HBD, hit playing hockey. In poor shape, heavy smoker, Hx of hypxn and high cholesterol but not being treated for either. C/O severe CP and SOB, probably sternal fracture. Pt. initially refused care. Then refused to go on the stretcher. Then feigned forgetting something to sneak back into the dressing room to down another drink. Then insisted on having a smoke outside the truck, which lead to a wicked coughing fit. Dx'ed with a cracked sternum and discharged. Called later that night due to pain. Hadn't bothered to fill his script yet.

My faith in Canada just died a bit eh, need me a Tims to console a bit :D

When I informed him he had to go to the hospital because he'd had a toxic, potentially life threatening dose, he groaned and said "really?! Bummer."

I'd say he may have well ended up on the liver list, that amount of paracetamol is bad hepatojuju

60 y/o M ... in poor shape, heavy smoker, Hx of hypxn and high cholesterol but not being treated for either ... hit playing hockey.

At least he was partaking in some form of physical activity y'know, Health Canada would probably give him a :thumbsup: for that

The smoking and hyperlipidaemia and HTN and such not so much, too much Tim's!

I just finished reading the Steve Jobs book, and he makes that claim, as did Carl Sagan, though he includes pot as well...Also, there were some really interesting studies in the 60's that claimed pretty significant mental benefits as well...

Just curious. It's not like it can do any real damage to either of my remaining brain cells...

It is to an extent. I do not drink alcoholic beverages; however, I will on occasion take NyQuil if I am sick and need to get some sleep, therefore it would probably not be truthful to say that I am never exposed to alcohol because I believe certain formulations of NyQuil still contain alcohol (ethanol).

However, I do not consume alcohol recreationally. This is not to say that I am pretentious and believe people who drink are necessarily wrong; however, one of the greatest gifts of nature has been a 1.3 kilogram organic computer stuffed between my ears. I am not all that keen on recreationally altering billions of years of evolution.

• Like 1

It is to an extent. I do not drink alcoholic beverages; however, I will on occasion take NyQuil if I am sick and need to get some sleep, therefore it would probably not be truthful to say that I am never exposed to alcohol because I believe certain formulations of NyQuil still contain alcohol (ethanol).

However, I do not consume alcohol recreationally. This is not to say that I am pretentious and believe people who drink are necessarily wrong; however, one of the greatest gifts of nature has been a 1.3 kilogram organic computer stuffed between my ears. I am not all that keen on recreationally altering billions of years of evolution.

Very well stated, considering there are many therapeutic applications to alcohol other than intoxication.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.