Calls worthy of the Darwin Award

runswithneedles

As some have already commented, you die, you win, you survive, you qualify as a runner-up.

DFIB, that guy in the vest wouldn't qualify for the Darwin Runner-up awards, because he didn't shoot himself, his buddy did. Either as a winner or runner-up, the rules clearly state one has to do it to themselves, not have done by another, or cause anyone else to get hurt or killed.

• Like 1

I thought in order to win the Darwin Award you had to die. None of those listed above died right?

yes this is true.

but the guy I saw did not die

Wishful-Darwin calls... I've got some decent SAR related ones...

Well, we had a guy decide to go freeclimbing on a local natural feature, stoned... fell about 35 feet down. Already had his pain control on board, man!

Same area, different natural feature... group of young guys without shirts... and one of them goes hopping along different rock bridges, only to fail and find the bottom of the falls with his FACE... and then his buddies carried him 40 feet (yeah... so much for C-spine) before someone witnessed what was happening and called in the pros...

Neither of these young men suffered any permanent harm fortunately, some serious injuries/fractures that both ended up healing fairly well from... but it was definitely a couple of head scratchers! WTF, guys?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Boyfriend of the girl, a friend of mine was sharing a flat with, was so drunk, he decided it would be a good idea/fun/whatever, to jump off their balcony - from the 5th floor... (he lived, but only barely).

New Years Eve 2005, sitting in my station with a Basic that had just cleared his orientation three hours before this call. At about 1215 the tones go off for a single vehicle roll over in a field....bystanders will show you the way to the accident...AAAAH Shit (when that sinking feeling just hits you). Get to the field, sure enough bystanders guide us in to this backwoods gulley. In the gulley is a mud buggy of sorts flipped upside down with about 7 people spread out all over the scene. I have two VFD types and an off duty police officer doing CPR on the driver. The rest of the passengers fine other than some minor broken bones, cuts, bruises, etc.

The story I got after this was all over and the J.O.P. (Justice of the Peace) had taken over the body of the driver goes as follows. The driver and the wife had been working on buying this piece of land for about 4 months. They had just finalized the deal that day and signed the paper. The driver during this time had been making this homemade mud buggy to cruise the land and have some fun. Well he took a wrong turn and apparently a tire or two had went flying off, he lost control and the mudbuggy ended up on top of him. The problem with this whole mess, was that the couple had never before took a full tour of the land in the daylight and this was actually their first time to "explore" the land in detail. But they decided to do this one when it was dark, in a homemade mudbuggy, after they had decided to get tanked up in celebration of the New Year.

A common phrase from my Director at the time..."Here hold my beer and watch this".

Just a note, my partner did great handled the scene like a seasoned pro.

MongoMedic

Edited by MongoMedic2

"Here hold my beer and watch this"

Per my past viewings of the Darwin Awards website, that phrase is supposedly spoken by the candidates, just before they become awardees or runners-up.

Ahh. Reminds me of the highschool years of yesteryear

My Darwin award LOL

A fifty year old man was making a pipe bomb, I guess he was to the point of putting the charge in it. So he put gun powder in it then began shaking it to get the powder to settle I guess something caused a spark, when we got on scene he had a two foot piece of pipe sticking out of his eye orbit, he didn't make it, died in surgery.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.