Fee for service woes.

paramedicmike

I think we discussed this in a thread before. But you would have thought that after the last incident people would pay the 75 bucks.

But I do not agree with the fire departments assertion that they don't take payments at the time of the fire. That's just plain fricked up.

With the bad press this fire department and county are getting it might be time to float a tax that would support the fire department throughout the county. OR put a LIfetime membership out there.

So from what I got from the article and the proceeding comments, they showed up in case of the need for rescuing anyone trapped in the house, and to protect neighboring properties.

As a discussion point, why are the firefighters obliged to fight the fire if the fee is not paid. If all that is at stake here is the property itself, can't this be viewed similarly to purchasing an insurance policy for your property? As in, by not purchasing insurance, you assume any liability if accidents occur. If they accept fee payments when fires occur, I'm sure people would take advantage of the system.

There probably are better ways to deal with the funding issues though.

• Like 1

So from what I got from the article and the proceeding comments, they showed up in case of the need for rescuing anyone trapped in the house, and to protect neighboring properties.

As a discussion point, why are the firefighters obliged to fight the fire if the fee is not paid. If all that is at stake here is the property itself, can't this be viewed similarly to purchasing an insurance policy for your property? As in, by not purchasing insurance, you assume any liability if accidents occur. If they accept fee payments when fires occur, I'm sure people would take advantage of the system.

There probably are better ways to deal with the funding issues though.

Yeah, they showed up to protect life and members property.

You live in the county. You more than likely know that they ahve a fee for service membership and yet you didn't pay. If you don't pay you don't get service.

No different with life insurance and other things. You don't pay then don't expect to get the service when you need it.

I truly do understand pay for service. My taxes elude to that very well. ha ha

And, I think I can fathom (really can't, but I'm trying to) that a fire crew would roll on a 911 call and then not provide any service. Do they have the homes marked so that they know who paid and who didn't? Do they have a roster in their truck that they look at to determine payment? I mean, just now do they determine who's up to date and who isn't?

Even better...how does that call get toned out. We have a structure fire at 123 Nameless Road...but take your time boys...their subscription ran out!

And, if the total feel REALLY is just $75 per year, why don't they just roll that in to a tax payment so that EVERYONE in the county is covered?

The way it works in my county is that those outside of the city pay a membership. They get a placard that they are supposed to put on their mailbox.

When the fire call comes in, the fire department looks the address up and determines if there is a membership or not.

If no membership They roll the rural fire truck only if there is reported person trapped or injuries or other houses with memberships are in the immediate vicinity. If the call doesn't meet that criteria they do respond unless the fire department is certain that there is no membership paid.

But if no membership, they don't pour a ounce of water on the fire.

Does it piss the homeowner off? absolutely and to high heaven

The notice is sent out to all homeowners in their property tax statements. So anyone who owns a home or business will get the notice. It's up to them to pay the bill. They can't say that they didn't get a notice.

shoddy system.....respond to 911 but then not do anything.........

i'm with crap on this roll it into their property taxes that way everyone is covered

Everyone says taxes is the solution "just roll it up in...", but from what I understand from the previous case a year ago and now this one (same area mind you) is that the fire department is responding from the INCORPORATED area...where there is a tax base covering this.

These homeowners are in a rural, unincorporated area--no tax base set aside for this service.

The fire department has offered service to them provided they subsidize by paying a membership. Sounds completely logical and fair to me as there is cost involved to respond and also it means there is risk to the incorporated areas who are temporarily deprived of full service in their tax base area.

After all the press after the last fire in the same area a year ago, you would think those who own homes would assume some personal responsibility and subscribe.

And for those who say what about the renters who could possibly be in a home with no coverage...well first that needs to be part of the rental agreement and second that is where renter's insurance comes into play and it is just affordable as this annual subscription is, so well worth the expense.

• Like 2