Suffocation by sitting. The dangers of air travel.

DFIB

A passenger of US airlines is forced to get up from his seat and stand for hours during flight. The safety devices designed for passenger use during takeoff and landing are not available for the passenger to use. He is forced to take off and land while improperly un restrained.

The problem was not a major malfunction in the safety devices, It was a 400+ lb person using more than one seat he did not pay for.

For me this is a situation that is totally unacceptable, a total disregard for safety and passenger rights.

Why should a “normal” passenger be inconvenienced by the behemoth who decided to sit next to him? Why did the airline allow it?

Who should we be an advocate for in this case?

http://zeenews.india.com/entertainment/and-more/man-forced-to-stand-on-7-hour-flight-due-to-400-pound-fellow-traveller_100858.htm

Not sure why he accepted this situation. I certainly wouldn't have. Nor can I imagine that the airlines actually took off and landed without all passengers properly restrained.

Dwayne

My first instinct also was outrage at the airline.. The 200$ travel voucher they offered the passenger seems an insult. Are airlines really working on such low margins?

The entire question of obese passengers and other issues dealing with passenger comfort and safety seem completely unaddressed by the carriers.

If all ems agencies should have to have a bariatric stretcher for fat asses, shouldn't airlines be forced to have one or two bariatric seats on the whole plane. Or are you guys changing your position ? Isn't this "pay to play" ?

Doesn't the Americans With Disabilities Act only require a "reasonable accommodation"? What would be a reasonable accomodation on an airplane?

• Like 1

Tubbo is not "disabled" the ADA defines a disability as "a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity"

I'm not trying to be a bastard, you know you're grossly obese, buy another seat

Does being able to see or reach your penis count as "limiting a major life activity"?

• Like 1

If all ems agencies should have to have a bariatric stretcher for fat asses, shouldn't airlines be forced to have one or two bariatric seats on the whole plane. Or are you guys changing your position ? Isn't this "pay to play" ?

Not sure what you are getting at here cause you are not comparing apples to apples.

First, a PUBLIC agency which has an obligation to respond the the taxpayers should know and expect for morbidly obese patients to be encountered and thereby prepare for it by acquiring the equipment in order to transport the patient safely (how or why they are obese is irrelevant).

An airline, PRIVATE company has no obligation to provide a large seat or two on every plane. They have and are willing to accommodate obese customers bu designing their seats with arm rests which raise completely and providing extra long seat belts when needed. The caveat for this is the obese person KNOWS they are expected to pay for 2 seats.

The first situation is an Emergency situation.

The second situation is a preplanned, prepaid for event over which everyone has control and if 2 seats were not available for this late arrival customer, then he should of been denied the flight until he has time to acquire two seats.

Again, your comparisons are nothing alike.

• Like 3

Okay so really surpised at the names Lardo and Tubbo comming out of this group :( We know that obesity is a growing issue in our society but there are those that are truely obese from medical reasons and how do we know he is not one of them?

As for the Airline they probably didnt know he was 400 lbs when he bought the ticket but it should have been addressed when he checked in and then charged for the extra seat. Since this plane was already full and he as the late boarder they should have turned him away for that flight and rescheduled him on the next with 2 available seats. Pretty simple if you ask me.

If that was me I would have put up a polite stink before take off and the airline since they made his flight horrid should be offering a hole lot more than a 200 doller voucher.

• Like 2