Does Your Service Report Medical Errors To THE PATIENT ?

flamingemt2011

I grabbed the wrong syringe and gave morphine to a seizing pregnant patient. I guess by Flaming's logic I should have told the patient but I did what I was supposed to do in my service.

I told the doctor immediatly upon discovering my error. I then called my supervisor and told him of the error.

The doctor said "So that's why she has pinpoint pupils" and he said "no harm done"

I followed my chain of reporting which actually makes me want to report errors, it's done in a non-judgemental way and we run through ways to avoid the errors in the future.

Had I have been required to report it to the patient I would have been much more reluctant to do so due to the threat of lawsuits and all that. When I report it to the right channels, I am assured that I will be protected by my service's legal services if and or when I'm sued for the error.

I actually asked one of the supervisors about telling a patient directly about an error and he had to go to the service managers and ask them. They told him, if the medic reports an error to the patient prior to reporting it to the physician taking care of the patient and then to management/supervisory staff at the service, then I'm on my own in my defense if I tell the patient. So if the patient sues, then I have to get my own lawyer and I CANNOT afford that lawyer.

So we have reporting requirements and procedures for a reason. I will NOT relay to the patient that an error was made on my part, not because I'm scared that I'll get sued, but I follow proper procedure.

It's good on you that you personally will tell a patient of the error you made with them but I wonder how many of those errors you can personally help pay for, if your service let's you go for not reporting the errors properly.

Again, hard to say when you can't read the chart, assuming the truth was documented.

So nothing was ever actually confirmed, these are all assumptions? In addition, has the chart been requested? You can read the chart and see if you think any data was left undocumented, but until then...again you are spewing off with hearsay and your own assumptions.

You are very lucky to have a father in-law (an old one) who supports your gay marriage.

Its not a legal marriage, but u r correct . Yes it is silly for me to believe he would go in today cardiac arrest for no reason at all, without having an MI, guess it was colonel mustard in the parlor with the candlestick

To not today, android auto correct

And only he can get the chart, something called HIPPA

Actually it is called HIPAA...and yes, he can get the chart which is why I asked if the chart had been requested, not if YOU had requested it. This much concern, surely you would ask him to get a copy of his files for informational purposes only since he does not intend to sue.

Sounds like actual diagnostics were/are very limited and as stated, it is all your assumptions thus far, no?

No, as mentioned, Cardiologist said it was his best guess, not mine, and he is not the sue-happy kind, which I do not understand. Anyway, back to the real issue at hand; Am i the only one in this room that sees our practice of hiding the truth from the patient as dangerous ?

From the EMT Code Of Conduct (circa 1978)

The Emergency Medical Technician refuses to participate in unethical procedures, and assumes the responsibility to expose incompetence or unethical conduct of others to the appropriate authority in a proper and professional manner.

Couldn't find the section that says we should lie, coverup, and hide our errors so that we do not get sued.

Edited by flamingemt2011

I always have a problem with the words "could have" or "might have". There is no background on the medic to whether this is his first error, no information on what the mistake was and why.

If I make a mistake I will document it on my sheet, talk to the Dr. and my Unit Chief then a medical review will be conducted and if it is deemed the error is because of negligence Im pretty sure someone may talk to the family. Personally I havent had to go through the process. I am not the one that is to go to the family before anything is decided on the error. If I do make a mistake that is found to be negligent then I'm pretty sure that I could ask to tell the family or pt.

As for Flamming you can still go and tell your pt that you screwed up and lied about it if that will make you feel better. And the comment about IHLPP, it is an intentional act to put someone on the floor unrestrained when you make an error it is accidental, big difference.

No, as mentioned, Cardiologist said it was his best guess, not mine, and he is not the sue-happy kind, which I do not understand. Anyway, back to the real issue at hand; Am i the only one in this room that sees our practice of hiding the truth from the patient as dangerous ?

From the EMT Code Of Conduct (circa 1978)

The Emergency Medical Technician refuses to participate in unethical procedures, and assumes the responsibility to expose incompetence or unethical conduct of others to the appropriate authority in a proper and professional manner.

Couldn't find the section that says we should lie, coverup, and hide our errors so that we do not get sued.

Fine, so lets talk about the issue at hand...as tangents seem to discredit the source which I am fairly decent at. :)

Anyways, according to the very quote you shared, the people in question have done exactly that. No where does it say go to the patient and report firsthand your actions; it says to the proper authorities and in a professional manner. Therefore, if you fulfill the requirement and "it gets swept" you have not violated the sacred EMT oath.

P.S. I call BS on your father-in-law which is why I questioned you so. I do believe you reached for an example to try and solidify your position but once holes were poked, you have to shift gears and refocus.