FDNY*EMS What If's

10-52-EDP

There union's big sticking point on Mensa Medics are these:

1. You increase both the responsibility of the medics and the EMTs without an increase in pay.

2. There are several ways of getting more ALS ambulances to more ALS calls without the Mensa medic program. Improving the goddawful scripted protocol dispatch system would be the first step.

3. Less overtime for paramedics.

4. The logical step after one paramedic/one EMT team is 1 paramedic/firefighter and 4 CFR's.

I'm not so much against the program, actually, there are many times where I wish I was working by myself. But the fact remains is that they are doing this for monetary reasons, not for patient benefit.

I'm sorry Asy, but explain your #2 to me.. How does improved dispatching get you "more medics"???.... maybe you keep them available more often, but but it won't increase the numbers of medic trucks. Your #4 does make sense, that is probably what FDNY really wants paramedic engines and for all the EMT's to just go away.

I could see them trying to privatize the BLS transport units, parcel up to city, and give each private company 1 little zone and then the medics remain FDNY. That would slowly faze out the voluntarys as well, which sounds like what FDNY wants to do.

I'm sorry Asy, but explain your #2 to me.. How does improved dispatching get you "more medics"???.... maybe you keep them available more often, but but it won't increase the numbers of medic trucks.

:shock:

I think you answered your own question mate, either they arn;t tied up on jobs that wern't triaged correctly and should have been BLS, or you spread resources and stage them more appropriately.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I'm being 'investigated' for FDNY to get in the academy in april and I was wondering if any of you could give advice. also wondering what to expect at medical exam?

been volunteering for a while and I'm looking forward to quitting my day job.

Seems now, the local, 2507 (EMTs and Paramedics of the FDNY) of DC 37 AFSCME, is pushing the concept of single medic with an EMT, as a way to get more Paramedic ambulances out there without hiring more personnel, or having many people manning the additional ambulances on forced overtime.

Wow, forced OT. What do you employees and the union think of having to take overtime? Is it resented, or do people enjoy the extra money?

Wow, forced OT. What do you employees and the union think of having to take overtime? Is it resented, or do people enjoy the extra money?

Where the heck did that original quote come from? Anyway, I can assure you that it is pretty wrong. Our local did agree to work with the Department on finding a way to make the MENSA Medic program work, but as usual the Department just wanted to get equal work and revenue for less pay, and the single medic transport unit idea went bye-bye, as the Department could not demonstrate a real need or benefit for it to SEMSCO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.