Dealing With Death Suddenly and After the Fact

Kschuppan

I found a trick that works, at least some of the time. Close your eyes for a moment, take a deep breath, remind yourself that you are there to do a job, open your eyes, and do it. Afterwards, nobody will question you going to the toilet and barfing your brains out.

The fecal vomiting is called miserere. Saw that one too, kinda disgusting.

Funny thing - in german, a plight or a misery is called Misere. So, if you have Miserere you are in a Misere. Sorry for the cynic humour, but we found that kind of hilarious (and fitting) back in school.

Had a very, very inflamed and secreting leg with maggot infestation last week - also not really a treat for your nose.

The fecal vomiting is called miserere. Saw that one too, kinda disgusting.

Funny thing - in german, a plight or a misery is called Misere. So, if you have Miserere you are in a Misere. Sorry for the cynic humour, but we found that kind of hilarious (and fitting) back in school.

Had a very, very inflamed and secreting leg with maggot infestation last week - also not really a treat for your nose.

I just looked up that word and it must be a translation issue- I could not find it. I did find these alternative words: copremesis and stercoraceous. Never really wanted to know the actual medical terms- hopefully I will never see this again. Feces should NOT be coming out of someone's mouth.

I found a trick that works, at least some of the time. Close your eyes for a moment, take a deep breath, remind yourself that you are there to do a job, open your eyes, and do it. Afterwards, nobody will question you going to the toilet and barfing your brains out.

I guess everyone has their own tricks to deal with nasty smells. I had an old police wagon guy who told me to put a generous hunk of Carmex (A highly mentholated lip balm) under their nose. Works pretty well. I also developed a breathing trick- I simply breathe through my mouth and for some reason, the aroma simply is not bad. I guess it all depends on how sensitive your nose- and stomach happen to be.

I've gagged a few times but never lost my lunch over a smell. The only time I threw up at work was years ago when I was young, single, and stupid, I came into work fairly hung over. Of course the first call was for a young guy with the flu- N/V/D. The guy warned me he may vomit- and I said I may join him if he did.

He did- and I did. Not something I'm proud of, but it was also the last time I came to work in that condition.

I just looked up that word and it must be a translation issue- I could not find it. I did find these alternative words: copremesis and stercoraceous. Never really wanted to know the actual medical terms- hopefully I will never see this again. Feces should NOT be coming out of someone's mouth.

Just looked it up, it may be that those words you pointed out are the most commonly used, but "miserere" seems to be also fitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vomiting -> look at the "Contents" abstract.

I fully agree on your second point!

• 1 year later...

I second everything that Mike, Bushy and Dwayne told you. LISTEN to them. I'll reiterate a couple of things- Respect, very big in EMS and life in general. Aretha Franklin said it best.

You will have to be sensitive to, and respectful of, so many things when you start working. It sounds like you care about people and "like to make them smile" which is good! (Don't look for too many smiles from the...you know...dead folks) If you don't truly care about others, then pick another profession.

You keep saying "dealing with the dead," I don't know, I've always found that they were pretty easy to deal with. They don't talk much, so scratch small talk off your list, and patient care is pretty minimal....you'll see.

Listen to the other guys, not me...I'm the warped coping mechanism paramedic mike was talking about.

Good luck!

Mike

He he...I guess I should maybe look at how old the post is before I write a bunch of stuff to an empty.....hello.....ello....ello

Well at least no one is around to see how foolish I feel......