Cali Steady Burn

As stated, Green for Vollie EMSer, Blue for Vollie Fire Fighter on personal vehicles, not allowed to go against a red traffic signal in NY State. If registered with the department, under specific guidelines (NYS VTL 115C) a member can be authorized red lights and siren, as a "fly car" of the Volunteer Ambulance Corps.

Personal vehicles under green, blue, or red, and the "duly authorized" Fire, LEO or EMS vechicles ALL have to follow NYS VTL (Vehicle and Traffic Laws) #1104, which states that the vehicle MUST be driven with "Due Regard" to all other traffic on the road. I posit that all US states, provences of Canada, and other countries represented in EMT City have an equivelant to 1104 on their books.

The part about the steady burning red light is true, has been since the 60's. That was about the only accurate to real life part of the ambulance Mother drove in Mother, Jugs & Speed.

Courtesy lights. I have one, LED, it has 82 flash patterns. I have it set to flash on.. and flash off.. slowly. I only use it if I'm parked on the road, that way I don't get struck. I neither want to die, nor become a finger puppet for a trauma team.

• Like 1

Some states, rightfully so, do not allow POVs to have emergency vehicle lighting. This is a restriction I'd like to see enacted everywhere else in the country.

Yeah, one here has lights on POV's. Our volly FF's follow all road rules going to station on a call out, and theres a file somewhere with those who have pole axed themselves trying to save 2 minutes of their time.

Another mention on the green and blue "Courtesy Lights" per NY State: If one sees them approaching in your rear view mirrors, you are supposed to move to the right side of the road, and stop while not blocking cross streets or driveways, just like for the lights on the "full" emergency vehicles. 37 years of not seeing folks move for the reds...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.