NY Taxpayers Could Foot Bill for Rapist's Heart Transplant -

NYCEMS9115

This is tough subject. There's moral and ethic issues but foremost there's a dollar amount to it. Does he really need or deserve a transplant?

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/now_ny_is_buying_him_new_heart_7rC8vMnPw6BggD3B8UcwZI

Since He's on the wait list and will be for a while, Hold a parole hearing and toss his ass out on the street. He's almost served his sentence for raping a child. Then as a normal citizen he can qualify for the same benefits as any other leech on society.

Jesus wants a repentant heart. He forgives, and then says "sin no more". This man obviously repents nothing, as his family members are still blaming the victim. The man will march headlong into hell.

Lots of law-abiding Americans have no way to pay for a heart transplant, and rightly wonder why such care would be offered to prisoners, said Arthur Caplan, a medical ethics expert at the University of Pennsylvania.

But the cost is not the doctors' concern.

"Medicine's ethic is to help people," Caplan said. "Even in war, we try to treat people who are trying to kill us. The ethic -- and I think it's a good one -- is you treat people in need, and don't worry about their character and their past."

So need a transplant, comit a crime and go to jail and get it done on someone elses dime. (sorry bad humor today)

I agree with Caplan, we are not in the business to judge only to help. He is doing his time so he still needs to be treated as a human being. I never change my standard of care no matter what. As an EMT I will help someone even though they may have done something extremly bad, I am not a judge or jury.

Personally (not as an emt) I think he should burn in hell for his crime, or the electric chair, or a needle in his arm. Wish we could just shoot certain convicts, heck i'll buy the bullets. Alot cheaper then housing, feeding and caring for the worst of the worst.

You may be right about his destination, but that is GOD's decision. Jesus directed us to turn the other cheek and not judge

We judge people every day. What do you think our legal system is all about?

Sorry, but God has nothing to do with this.

This guy was judged as being guilty of being a pedophile and a rapist. Is he entitled to his transplant? Unfortunately, yes.

If it were up to me, however, he would rot in jail and die a slow, miserable death.

Call me "unChristian", but I am not as charitable as Jesus- especially when.children have been harmed.

You may be right about his destination, but that is GOD's decision. Jesus directed us to turn the other cheek and not judge

Jesus also drove the vendors out of the temple, telling them they had turned His Father's house into a den of thieves, called the Pharisees a pit of vipers, and cursed (and killed) the fig tree for not bearing fruit.

I think everyone needs to look at whether or not a jail is the place to recover from a transplant. You must be on immuno-supressing drugs, and living in close quarters with numerous other inmates. I don't think he would survive the infections that he would be exposed to in jail, and he certainly belongs in jail

On a little more personal note, I think it's B.S. that we would pay for their transplant when there are others who are in dire need who can not because of the cost. I am fighting a huge insurance battle right now over limits and my genetic condition. I can't go get the treatment I need for my knee because of the cost being prohibitive.

As a philosophy minor with a focus in Ethics, this topic has been discussed numerous times both in published articles as well as private scholarly debate, in the end, the prisoner will most likely receive the transplant, as has been done before. I don't agree with it though.

Let the bastard die... The sentence for a true honest to god rape, should be death anyway. The beginning of April, I went three days with an irregular heart beat, and didn't get treatment b/c I got laid off and my insurance was dropped. This bastard rapes a child, and gets a free heart. Burn in hell.

• Like 1