Favorite Recipes

crotchitymedic1986

I think we did this topic before, but here goes anyway. Would you please share your quick and easy recipes for the fire/ems station. Here is one of my favorites, will feed 4 as priced, just add another can of meat for 2 more people.

Canned Pot Roast:

Need 1 can of canned roast beef per every 2 people. Cost $2.50 per can ($5.00)

Bag of potatoes. Cost 2.50-5.00 depending on 3, 5 or 10lb bag.

Cooking Oil. Cost $3.00

Bag of Brown and Serve Rolls or whatever bread you like. Cost $2-4.00

Directions:

Heat up oil, cut up potatoes into cubes, and deep fry until done, remove, drain, dump grease from pan or get new pan.

Heat up the canned roast beef in the skillet, just dump can of meat in skillet, with all juices. May need to break up meat with fork (comes in big chunks).

Once beef is bubbling and done, mix in potatoes. Serve with Rolls. Sticks to your ribs, is cheap, and tastes like a pot roast you baked all day.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

Roast beef comes in a can? I guess I'm just too small town. Store is a 'if we don't have it, you don't need it' type deal.

But anyhoo.. Fresh venison sausage (some butcher shops sell it); then mix amounts to taste brown sugar, ketchup and mustard in a sauce pan. Quick, easy, pretty good. It's like a simple BBQ sauce I'd say about a cup of BS, and half cup of ketchup, few squirts of mustard. Toasted large slices of Italian bread for the 'roll'. That's sort of a New England hot-dog roll, square edged rolls, toasted on both sides.

Grill or boil the sausages till done. Consume.

Requires use of a crock pot (aka slow cooker). It's not quick. But it's really easy. Throw it on in the morning and let it cook all day. Great for a busy station.

If I make this for myself I have lunch and dinner for a full week. It could easily serve six for dinner. I do not make it with beer. I also drain everything prior to putting it is so it doesn't become too soupy.

* 1 onion, chopped

* 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans

* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans

* 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained

* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (optional)

* 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained

* 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning

* 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

* shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)

* sour cream (optional)

* crushed tortilla chips (optional)

Directions

1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.

2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

Island Clam Bake

This one starts with a trip down to the wharf:

Items needed:

2- 1 1/4 lb lobsters per person

1/2 lb steamers per person

1 large baking potato per person

1 lb real butter melted in saucepan

wrap potato's in foil & put in oven for 1 hour @ 350

Gather all the food then put the steamer pot on the cooker with 1 inch of water & bring to boil:

Drop in the clams, then the lobsters, When water comes back to boil , wait ten minutes and then serve!

Depending on time of year cost per person will vary from $6-8 per person.

If your really into salad add a nice green salad.

ENJOY

My Fav is chicken caccitore (sp?)

I don't have an exact recipe, but basically take a pasta sauce (Ragu)

Throw in green peppers, onion, mushrooms... whatever else you got

Lots of garlic

Take a whole fryer chicken and chunk it, throw it in the pot, and simmer from 1hr-4 hrs.

The longer it simmers the more tender the chicken.

If it gets too thin, add Tomatoe paste, too thick... add water.

For a refreshing treat, I cut a pineapple into strips lengthwise, and throw them on the BBQ, as they grill continuously brush them with a mixture of honey and lemon juice. You just want grill marks and heated through. They are like frickin candy!

You just opened a can of worms (no that is not my favorite recipe)!

My all time favorite thing to eat is chicken paprikash. Basically, it is pan fried chicken, then add onions, green peppers to the skillet, cook them up, put back in the chicken and add some stock to loosen up all the goodness on the bottom of the pan. Make a gravy out of this in the normal fashion (mixing in flour water). But this is where the the difference is. You add about a cup of sour cream or more depending on taste and a heaping spoonful of paprika.

Personally, I prefer to eat this with lumpy noodles/dumplings.

We feed our friends a lot... here's some of our rotations...

Easy pasta- cook pasta, saute in a pan with olive oil, frozen peas/other veggies, canned chicken or tuna, then pour in a lot of balsalmic vinegar and toss thoroughly to coat.

Breakfast for dinner- giant scrambles full of veggies and cheese (most often onion and bell peppers), toast, and turkey bacon/real bacon.

Fritatta- Saute 2 zucchini, 1-2 onions and 4-5 thinly sliced potatoes in olive oil in a large oven-safe saute pan. Mix in about 8-10 scrambled eggs and cook halfway through. Put the pan in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes to finish cooking; about 5 minutes before removing, sprinkle cheese of choice over the top (I've done this with non-dairy rice cheddar shreds, mozzarella, fiesta mix... you name it, it works). Cut into wedges, serve with bowls of tomato soup on the side- basic Campbell's or your favorite generic that you fix stovetop after putting the fritatta in the oven. Feeds 6-7 people.

White Folks Pad Thai (aka non-authentic)- Stir fry veggies and meat of choice (I usually use frozen veggies, onions and chicken but you can also use shrimp, tofu, etc.) Cook a package of wide rice noodles, drain, and toss in with veggies and meat. Add in about half a bottle of teriyaki sauce that you've pre-mixed with some cornstarch (only takes a tablespoon or so). Cook until sauce thickens and noodle mixture is thoroughly coated. Scramble some egg and crush peanuts for topping.

Another good one is Ratatouille, but that's not so station friendly... lots of steps, but feeds a crowd! I do mine by slicing my veggies in a food processor (1 medium to large eggplant, 6 zucchini, 3 bell peppers, 2-3 onions, 4 yellow squash) and coating them in olive oil and roasting on pans at 425 degrees for about 9 minutes. This takes several rotations of trays and takes a while. Then I end up layering the roasted veggies alternately with canned diced tomatoes and basil, salt and pepper in a glass baking dish. Once the dish is full, cover the top with mozzarella and bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until the mozzarella is nice and brown and bubbly. Serve with crusty french bread.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Best Halibut Ever

Take aluminum foil wrap a cookie sheet and spray with Pam

Get fine bread crumbs and seasoning salt, pepper and my favorite crushed red peppers (these are real hot so just a pinch or two) or any seasoning you like. I have also used Italian seasoning. I put this in a pie plate.

In a bowle take equal amounts of Mayo(not miracle whip) and sour cream. Add chopped onions. You can also put some seasoning in this if you want.

Roll the Halibut pieces in the bread crumb mixture and place in the middle of the cookie sheet. I normally will cut up the fish into serving sizes but I have seen people use a big slap of fish.

Once all the fish is on the cookie sheet, take the mayo mix and put over the fish like you would when icing a cake. Make sure that the mayo seals the fish.

Cook at 500 degrees for 20 minutes. You can burn this black and the fish inside will still be moist and awsome.