GCS scale and Spinal Precatuions no longer taught

Due to my busy schedule, I have been out of the loop on some of the latest research but imagine my surprise when I ran across several peer reviewed journals and studies which state that the GCS scale is no longer to be used. To sum up their findings with layman's terms...they said it serves no purpose and is a waste of effort. I often wondered about that myself but here it is. Anyways, NREMT and DOT have decided to eliminate it from the next text and it is perfect timing because of all the new certification levels.

Rolled up in this article of course was the immobilization stuff which we all have discussed for years as being pointless. Even selective spinal immobilization guidelines were just a stop gap to reduce the old protocol of immobilize everyone until they reach these determinations.

Anyways, overall I think both are great ideas. Means one less thing to teach and worry about and one less piece of equipment to worry about...your thought?

April Fools!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good riddance to a bunch of nonsense....

Can you site a source? There are some I would like to send it too that have been telling me what an asshole I am for believing such awesome assessment/interventions tools lack value...

Dwayne

Edited to add request for sources.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

Ya if you wanted use to believe it you should have created a new account. I didn't believe you'd post something like that without references.

On the topic of pranks though, I played a great April Fools prank on my wife this morning. I got up early, changed the time on her clock ahead two hours and then went downstairs. Came up awhile later, woke her up telling her she was late for work. She starts running around trying to get ready in 2 minutes and is half way downstairs when she says "Why do I smell bacon?" I'd woken up early, changed the clock and then made bacon, pancakes and tea before waking her at her usual time.

LOL...you are such an asshole...

See that? That is why science is good...I let my wishful thinking carry me right over the cliff....

Dwayne

You know I luv ya Dwayne..... But it brought me real pleasure that you fell into the trap :thumbsup:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.