Safest vehicle?

buckle823

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest looking at consumer reports for this question....I doubt anyone here will give you more information other than personal anecdote.

I've seen F-350's with duelies flip multiple times fyi.

Good luck in your car search, but this isn't the best place to gather safety information.

When it comes to high speed accidents, biggest is NOT best!

The idea of making tough vehicles to withstand impact died in the 60's. Crumple zones, and airbags are far superior to reinforced steel bumpers!

Safety ratings are important, but really... the more airbags the better.

I difficult question as most every "real world" MVC are completely different variables. I will disagree with my friend Mobey .. Might makes Right (staying alive) in most situations. The big ass 4 x 4 duelies are more a stable platform to prevent a roll over, then a higher C of G. Once that truck does flip there is a lot more mass = destruction. That said being unrestrained in any motor vehicle the ejection factor is the killer.

To answer the quest, there is no magic or easy answer except that defensive driving and good attitude,(don't get angry at the fools) taking rest breaks, and knowing when to get off the roads due to crappy weather and poor visibility. Then there is the "DUI" factor and with estimated 1 in 20 on the road have or are over the limit, this one of the biggest influences to your safety.(that's all times of day)So assume that all are fools and will do something stupid ie expect the unexpected.

Best answer for safe travel although a bit hard on fuel ... a LAV ... Light Armoured Vehicle PLUS you can shoot back :shiftyninja:

cheers

late edit ... no matter what flavour of vehicle .. the RUBBER on it is a huge factor to maintain control, put the money there instead of some thing for better "performance" .

Edited by tniuqs

If you asked the question 10 years ago, I would have a totally different answer, as there were more Hummers and F-450 size vehicles on the road, but like in the 70's, high gas prices will probably keep most folks out of those vehicles for the next several years. I agree with checking with the National Highway Safety Council's, the Consumer Reports, and the National Insurance Institute's crash ratings, as scientific results or usually better than personal opinion. With that being said, most of these studies use the same type of crash test, which may or may not represent real world collisions. In my opinion, any small truck or car puts you at greater risk, especially if you are hit head-on or broad-size by a larger vehicle. The bigger vehicles often give a false sense of security, which let's their occupants choose to not wear a seatbelt. Unfortunately, these vehicles have a higher probability of roll-over, so passengers die from being ejected from the vehicle during roll over. Unlike the crashes you see on tv, most do not result in a roll-over and an explosion.

I would say choose a vehicle that has multiple airbags and has some girth to it. Drive safely; no texting or cellphone use, wear a seatbelt, put your kids in carseats, and use defensive driving practices that most of us do not use. For instance, if I were to get in your car with you and ride for 20 miles on any road, if I turned to you and asked, "Can you tell me what the last road sign said that we passed ?", could you ? If we were on the interstate for say 30 miles, and I turned and asked, "if we broke down right now, could you tell me what was the last exit we passed ?" , could you. Truck drivers are taught to constantly scan left, middle, right, rear-view mirrors every second that they are on the road, most car drivers do not. How many times have you driven for several miles, zoned out, and then suddenly realize you do not remember the last several exits ? The vehicle does not matter as much, if you are driving safely and defensively.

My thinking is to go with a larger frame, at least a a 1/2 ton (F-150, etc) to give you that extra steel and weight around you. In addition, this will get you up higher to prevent thoracic injuries in the even you get t-boned. I'm also thinking as long as the truck had the safety canopy with side curtain bags that blow for like 6 seconds as you roll, that would be a plus. Gotta also have stability control. Have you guys seen much problems with roof collapse on F-150's?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.