Pillows

tcripp

What caused you to ask this question? I'm betting you butted heads with one of the, "That's bullshit, if they need a pillow then the don't need an ambulance!" crowd?

LOL - not quite. There are a few items on our trucks that we are "limited to". One is pillows and the other is blankets. The goal is to get those items back after transporting our patients to the local hospital. Inventory captain doesn't like it when we are overstocked on those items and watches closely when we have to go back to the cabinet for additional inventory. :innocent:

As we dropped of a patient yesterday at a not so local facility (which meant I couldn't go back and get it later), I took back the pillow. Now, I overheard the patient ask the nurse for a pillow in return and then the response of "how rude" and some giggling. No feelings were hurt as it was all in fun (the nurse knew I was at the door). But, then I started to wonder.

Most of the EDs I come in contact with are limited to pillows in general which spurred the next thought of, "Do other services carry them?". Or, is there a mentality out there of "That's bullshit, if they need a pillow then the don't need an ambulance!"?

Yes, Dwayne. I know I should have gotten a pillow for my patient in exchange. Shame on me. :blink:

me

WOW : even when I worked for a tightwad private for profit service , we always had pillows on the trucks.

Here we have at least six pillows on the truck in winter for splinting and padding the meme's when they fall and fracture a hip.

All our linens are supplied by the hospitals on a one for one exchange at no cost. and most trucks have an ample supply of thermal blankets, towels washcloths, etc in stock

they all end up at one hospital or another at some point when they get used.

As stated, NY State DoH requires 2 pillows. Also as stated, they make great ankle splints, and always seem to be in shortage at the supply depot or ER. As the ambulance cots are designed more for function than comfort, I always try to have all patients have one for their heads (not always possible, as indicated).

We are supposed to have them, but as mentioned above, it often depends on their availability in the ER, for us to replace them. Lately we have been having trouble even replacing blankets in the ER, with the RNs there stashing them in hidden places so EMS can't get them. I actually had a nurse take one of two blankets off my stretcher the other day, telling me that we don't need them and they are running out...

And that's when I grab it back out of her hand, say "Finders keepers" and walk away.

I can judge the quality of medic by whether or not there is a pillow on that stretcher. Sorry medics do not have one, as patient comfort is beneath them. Ditto for a blanket.

Hmmm...you judge the medic by the pillows? What if an EXCELLENT medic just happens to work for a crappy service then? :P

And that's when I grab it back out of her hand, say "Finders keepers" and walk away.

GIGGLE. Kind of how I felt last night. :D

I can judge the quality of medic by whether or not there is a pillow on that stretcher. Sorry medics do not have one, as patient comfort is beneath them. Ditto for a blanket.

seriously? I mean seriously you can say that with a straight face?

If you don't have a pillow you don't have a pillow. I've transported several patients without pillows because I used the pillow to secure bilat fractured ankles, and since my ambulance only had 2 pillows on it then I guess you can judge my quality then?

WOW, what a blanket statement.

edited to take out comment

Edited by Ruffems

On our car, we have one pillow on the cot at all times, which gets switched out after every call or at least a new pillow case, as well as we have one extra pillow or two in our cabinets. Also we have a pillow with a trauma strap wrapped around it with a ice pack in it to be used as a pillow splint. In many cases I have used two pillows for my patient, so they are comfortable, especially on those long transfers.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.