What was he thinking

Just Plain Ruff

An article in the USA today as well as seen on the morning news this morning here is the jist of the story

Spalding County, Georgia

Fatal crash scene

A fire fighter took a cell phone video of a young woman who was involved in a fatal crash - she was supposedly not dead yet according to the story on the news this morning, but she did die very shortly after the video was taken.

He then shared the video with other fire fighters and patrons of a local bar.

The video was then sent to the father of the girl killed.

Just what was that fire fighter thinking.

The father of the girl is now considering a lawsuit and this news article has gone national.

Not much you can add to this… Pretty sad and sick. You Americans seem to have some pretty bizarre people working emergency.

A little off topic but I find it sad how people have this increasing inappropriateness to use there phone in silly circumstances. The girl sitting next to me at nursing graduation was on Facebook seconds before we were called to the stage and completely ignored all the other graduates being presented before us, the doctors who answer there phone in the middle of a consultation or rounds, I’ve seen paramedics on Facebook while there partner is treating the patient, nurses carry there phones around while on shift and you find them hiding in the corner Facebooking and generally people playing around with there phone instead of socially interacting or concentrating on the task at hand! Surely there are more pressing matters than a status update or general chit chat… I understand some calls are important and need to be answered immediately but on the whole I think people have this increasing urge to use there phone inappropriately and in inappropriate circumstances.

You only have to look at 90% of the videos on Youtube to think people have nothing better to do than stand there and pull out there phone to ‘capture the moment’.

As for the above situation, it actually doesn’t surprise me. I mean… what else is there to do at a car accident with a timed critical patient?…. After all, good quality patient care, a bit of compassion and good communication skills is to hard these days…

An article in the USA today as well as seen on the morning news this morning here is the jist of the story

Spalding County, Georgia

Fatal crash scene

A fire fighter took a cell phone video of a young woman who was involved in a fatal crash - she was supposedly not dead yet according to the story on the news this morning, but she did die very shortly after the video was taken.

He then shared the video with other fire fighters and patrons of a local bar.

The video was then sent to the father of the girl killed.

Just what was that fire fighter thinking.

The father of the girl is now considering a lawsuit and this news article has gone national.

I hope he's fired, assuming he's not a volly, which seems likely. Sued, and then I hope dad tracks him down and beats him to death. Nope, I'm not exaggerating.

If this type of thing came to me of Babs or Dylan's last moments on earth the very next time you would see me I'd be on Court TV while they decided whether or not I'd earned the death penalty for my retribution.

Taking a video for education? Ok, with the families later permission. For the ER? Of course. To show your idiotic wanker buddies that you were actually in the vicinity of a nearly dead person? Holy shit.... I mean...Holy shit!! I'm finally coming to believe that EMS is not salvageable. But of course, we all know that if he's not a volly , the Chief or Captain or whoever is supposed to supervise these assholes will be disappointed in him for being a fucking moron and then give him a few paid weeks off while the press dies down, all the while speaking of how he's been "severely punished."

Makes me sick...

Probably can't tell that this pissed me off a little...

Mike, do you have a link to the story?

Dwayne

Dwayne, I don't have the story but it's in the main section of the usa today.

I would do the same thing that you would have done if I got a video like that.

This is a story that will have long reaching consequences for cell phone usage while on duty.

Personally I think that we should be able to carry them to have contact between us and our loved ones. but get caught with a phone taking a picture and no questions asked - you are fired.

This is a terrible violation of patient privacy.

I think this guy should be fired and then taken out back and beaten senseless

And a note to this yahoo if you are on this site, you are scum and a fucking asshole for doing what you did.

I might add one more thing.

It is not believed that this video was sent to the family intentionally cause them pain, it is believed that this video was sent to the father as a "hey, just to let you know, this is what's out there"

The dad who was interviewed this morning said he was not mad at the person who sent it to him, he was angry at the person taking the video.

There is not much more I can add to how despicable this is. I have seen a few times FF's taking pics or videos at accident scenes.. and it pisses me off so much. Makes me want to go and smash the phones.. into their faces. But anyway.. this guy is clearly an asshat with no respect for the people he is supposed to be protecting/helping. He seemingly cared more about having a video to show off to his buddies.

I hope the father does sue.. and I hope he wins.

Ga. firefighter makes video of fatal car crash

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: 8:49 a.m. Monday, Oct. 18, 2010

GRIFFIN, GA. — A Georgia county is looking into whether any rules were violated after a firefighter took graphic cell phone video of a fatal crash that was shared with other firefighters, patrons at a bar and was later received by the father of the woman who died.

Jeff Kempson tells Atlanta station WAGA-TV he doesn't understand why a firefighter would have taken the video of his daughter, 23-year-old Dayna Kempson-Schacht. She died July 17 when her car crashed into trees.

The Spalding County Sheriff's office says a firefighter took the video on his personal cell phone and shared it with other firefighters. An unknown firefighter later took the video to a bar and texted it to other patrons. From there, the video spread.

Information from: WAGA-TV, http://www.wagatv.com/index.shtml1

1. "Ga. firefighter makes video of fatal car crash." Statesman.com. Austin American Statesman, 18 OCT 2010. Web. 19 Oct 2010. <http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/ga-firefighter-makes-video-of-fatal-car-crash-977921.html>.

I hope he's fired, assuming he's not a volly, which seems likely.

Actually, he is a career firefighter. The majority of the county firefighters appear to be paid, while only 1 in 5 are voluntary. He is suspended w/ pay.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=158923&catid=3

:wtf2: What an IDIOT!!!!!

:iiam: <--- This is the description of where his brain is.

I hope the dumbass loses his job and any certifications he has over this. There is no reason for a scene video to be used beyond showing the ED and training. It's just F--ed up!!!

WOW Ruff, this news story absolutely makes my blood boil.

I agree with you and Dwayne... if I received a video like this of a loved one, I would hunt down the person who took the video, torture him or her to death, bring them back to live, and then do it again.

It is so disappointing that there are those in our profession who are so completely unprofessional. At what point did this guy think that taking the video was the right thing to do? I agree with Timmy, that too often we are seeing staff in health care on their phones, taking, texting, or on some social networking site, when they should be providing patient care. While on duty, our first priority is to the patient, not to tell our facebook friends that we just had a bowel movement....

Punishments for this kind of complete lack of respect and unprofessionalism have to be more than suspension with pay.. people like this need to be made an example of, since it appears that anything less would not get the point across that this is completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, we can't fix stupid...

I am forwarding the link to the article to everyone on my crew, as a good reminder why we have such strict regulations in our workplace regarding cell phone use.

I hope he's fired, assuming he's not a volly, which seems likely. Sued, and then I hope dad tracks him down and beats him to death. Nope, I'm not exaggerating.

If this type of thing came to me of Babs or Dylan's last moments on earth the very next time you would see me I'd be on Court TV while they decided whether or not I'd earned the death penalty for my retribution.

Taking a video for education? Ok, with the families later permission. For the ER? Of course. To show your idiotic wanker buddies that you were actually in the vicinity of a nearly dead person? Holy shit.... I mean...Holy shit!! I'm finally coming to believe that EMS is not salvageable. But of course, we all know that if he's not a volly , the Chief or Captain or whoever is supposed to supervise these assholes will be disappointed in him for being a fucking moron and then give him a few paid weeks off while the press dies down, all the while speaking of how he's been "severely punished."

Makes me sick...

Probably can't tell that this pissed me off a little...

Dwayne

Dwayne......don't feel alone buddy......you would have many (including myself) accomplices with you in court!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.